Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web (original 1952; edition 2012)

by E. B. White, Kate DiCamillo, Garth Williams (Illustrator)

Member:Kdmack73
Title:Charlotte's Web
Authors:E. B. White
Other authors:Kate DiCamillo, Garth Williams (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Hardcover, 192 pages

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (1952)

Read (15)
Robin (5)

English (850)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (852)
This book hooks the reader early on and carries them on an adventure of talking animals and great friendships. Wilbur, born a runt, was taken under the wing of a little girl named Fern as a piglet. As he grows though, he is headed towards many farm animals fate when a new wing comes over him. Charolette, a spider living in Wilbur's barn helps to make him into a sensation with her beautifully woven webs. Her webs prove that friendship can save lives. ( )
  nicolehalbur | Jan 17, 2019 |
This classic tale is a must-read for readers of all ages! Join Wilbur with his adventures and many "tails" on the farm. You'll laugh, cry, and enjoy each page of this story! ( )
  kbengtson | Jan 15, 2019 |
Can Charlotte the spider save Wilbur the Pig? Gentle story of Fern's love for the farm animals and their interesting antics. ( )
  AccyP | Dec 30, 2018 |
This is a simple little story written for children. I am amazed that it became such a widely read book. It provides a discussion of life and death and the changes in life. So maybe this provides an opportunity to discuss such things with children. Of course the book has impossible situations such as a spider writing words using a web and children and animals understanding each other’s speech. I see little value in the story. ( )
  GlennBell | Dec 23, 2018 |
Great book for read aloud. Touches on friendship and love. This book brings up lots of great discussions. Check google doc "SRE Charlottes Web"
  Erinsmo | Dec 10, 2018 |

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cramer-Klett, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DiCamillo, KateForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas, HazelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

Charlotte’s Web is a great story that I still so vividly remember reading in school. I truly believe it is a timeless classic. This book offers so many meanings for the reader to reflect upon and thoughts to grow on if children are given the opportunity. I also think the story brings in a great opportunity to expand and explore vocabulary. I just finished reading this story to my son who is first grade. I think I should have waited to read this when he was older, but I do think he enjoyed it.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In Earth unworthy,
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410935, Paperback)

An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

E. B. White's book CHARLOTTE’S WEB was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,655,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible