Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz

Ashley Bell

by Dean Koontz

Koontz is brilliant at making a 500 page book seem light as a feather. My only problem with speeding through this book was coming to the end of this excellent book. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
The life of a writer is one they create and can only be controlled by them. Bibi had an extraordinary imagination. The world she created was wild. I loved the ending!!! ( )
  Courtney824 | Oct 16, 2016 |
I own many, many books by Dean Koontz and I will never pass up the opportunity to read another one. I was super excited to get my hands on Ashley Bell.

Bibi was like a magpie, secreting things she wanted to forget about. She is an optimist and greets each sunrise with the promise of good things. She is a writer and lives life to the fullest. I love Bibi. She plans, or should I attacks, life with a plan, optimism and a step by step process to achieve her goals. I am awed by this character and am so emotionally involved, I can feel myself beginning to roll up the incline of one hell of a rollercoaster ride.

Fanfrickingtastic. I am blown away and loving it. An amazing novel of imagination, belief, hope and love.

I received an ARC of Ashley Bell from Dean Koontz and Netgalley in return for an honest review.

To see my full review, visit fundinmental ( )
  sherry69 | Aug 22, 2016 |
After a slow start, I ended up enjoying the book. Lots of interesting twists and turns and an ending that made me rewind and listen again.

I definitely recommend it. It's the third Koontz book I've read (one was when I was a teen, but still) and this one is my favorite.

I received an advanced copy from NetGalley but ended up getting the audio book later. The narrator did a great job. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this Audio Book in exchange for an HONEST review. Please keep in mind, this is my opinion...yours may differ.

ASHLEY BELL by DEAN KOONTZ
(I'll try not to ruin the story and avoid as many tell-tale spoilers as I can.)

Ashley Bell is a story about a girl named BB Blair with is a writer with and extraordinary imagination and a bright writing career ahead of her. Then cancer hits and she is told she has less than a year to live...BB decides this will NOT happen to her and she is suddenly cured...or is she? The next few days/weeks are strange for BB and she experiences many people from her past as well as new and strange acquaintances who all seem to be acting oddly causing BB's life to spin further into Weirdness.

When the story started, I thought it was headed in a completely different direction. Halfway through I started to pick up on hints that my initial thought of the plots direction could possibly be wrong. Then WHAM, Mr. Koontz turned it all in a different direction. When I say WHAM, I don't mean that there was any great shock or thrill to the direction change but rather like a "really, didn't think that would happen, oh well." I did enjoy the story--I enjoy all of Mr. Koontz's stories--but this one is in the mid-to-low area of my "like scale". To be honest, I kinda wish he would have headed in the original direction I had expected...I guess more of a "Odd Thomas" direction. The story of unique but just not completely to my liking. With that being said, I did enjoy the end when Mr. Koontz told about the progress of the "villain" (listen or read and you'll understand).

For me, audio books are GREAT but sometimes (especially when listening in the car) I miss details and "key plot points". I believe the same occurred with this audio book. My review and opinions could change after I listen to this book again.

3.5 stars for this one. ( )
  Disco_grinch | Jul 23, 2016 |
***** 5 out of 5 stars
2015 TOP PICK
Review by: Stacy Palm

It is often the case that my most treasured reads are the absolute most difficult to review. For one, I want you to be able to experience the book as I did with as little knowledge as possible about what transpires on the pages within. Second, there is no way the words I write about the book will ever do it justice, as I'm simply not that talented of a writer as my favorite authors. So I'm left with this exasperating need to just beg you to go get the book and read it for yourself.

Ashley Bell was one of the most enthralling stories I've read this year, and I've read nearly a hundred books this year. I'm going to give very little of the actual story to you because reading this is a journey with the destination best left unknown. I will tell you that this is the story of Bibi Blair. "Wait, not Ashley Bell?" you say. Yes, that was my initial reaction as well, but Ashley comes later. Bibi has to be one of my top five leading female characters OF ALL TIME. Seriously, she is up there with Jane Eyre; she simply ROCKS. She is creative and intelligent both of which make her a badass bookish heroine, and she really loves her dog. The story jumps around a bit from the present where Bibi is in her early twenties to her childhood. Very early on something catastrophic happens to Bibi and so begins the adventure that leads Bibi around California in search of a girl by the name of Ashley Bell.

Bibi as a character is easily the center of attention, but some of the other characters are just as stellar. Pax, Bibi's fiance is honestly not in the story that much, but the pages he is on bring to light a dynamic, captivating, and thoroughly intriguing gentleman, who also happens to be a Navy SEAL. Pogo, the brother from another mother, is a great example of a kind and honest friend. I truly loved that this book was filled with so many people who seem genuinely good-natured. Often I find that books are required to have an overload of turmoil between various characters, and it was nice to see a book where all the family and friends where pulling together and had respect for each other.

At about 70% through the book, a mind-blowing development is made, and the talent with which Dean Koontz writes becomes crystal clear. This author not only manages to keep a pivotal aspect of the story secret, he does it with such finesse that I was not even suspect of the situation. This is one of the very few books where I had not perceived the turning point that would occur, and I'm a smart reader. It is mind-boggling to me how talented Mr. Koontz is in creating tension and wonder during the story without "turning on the lights" until the exact right moment. I will be honest, I've not read many Dean Koontz books, nor have I ever considered myself a fan. After reading Ashley Bell, that has all changed. I will be seeking further books and anticipating new novels with delight.

As I stated from the beginning, I beg you to go get this book.

Full reviews available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

Who is Ashley Bell?

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz comes the must-read thriller of the year, perfect for readers of dark psychological suspense and modern classics of mystery and adventure. Brilliantly paced, with an exhilarating heroine and a twisting, ingenious storyline, Ashley Bell is a new milestone in literary suspense from the long-acclaimed master.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:16:17 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Dean Koontz's book Ashley Bell was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,483,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible