Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz

Ashley Bell

by Dean Koontz

Loved it. Koontz keeps on improving his writing skills, and all the characters are beautifully crafted - starting from the superb Bibi Blair. The only flaw, in my opinion, is that the final part of the novel can't compete with the rest. But it's not the first Koontz book that has a "poor" ending - where "poor" doesn't mean "bad", just "not as good as the wonderful pages that prepare for it" ( )
  marcogiorgini | Jul 26, 2017 |
This is 3.5 stars. It had some slow points and the story wasn't perfectly contrived, but it had enough to be enjoyable and at times exhilarating. Overall a good entry into the Koontz catalog. ( )
  KenMcLain | Jul 18, 2017 |
This is the first novel that I've read by Dean Koontz, so I don't know how close the plot comes to other books that he has written. Ashley Bell certainly defies being pigeon-holed into a particular genre. The book's protagonist, Bibi Blair, finds out early in the story that she has been stricken with an incurable form of brain cancer. Miraculously overnight, she is cured and leaves a baffled hospital staff behind to go to her home, where her parents have sent her the peculiar gift of a masseuse/diviner. She tells Bibi that to keep from being killed by the "Wrong People" and to repay her miracle cure, she must save the life of a girl named Ashley Bell. After that strange encounter, Bibi is thrown into the role of investigator-on-the-run, trying to find out who Ashley Bell is and how she might save her. A major part of this novel revolves around Bibi being an author. Many references are made to authors and stories from both classical and modern literature, which are expertly woven into the narrative. This book is very well written with lots of twists and turns, but from a personal perspective, I find novels that deliver real-life problems with unrealistic solutions to be a kind of cheat. In this novel, Koontz states that real writers don't use a formula and don't know where their characters will take them once the story has begun. That may be true, but in the case of this novel, I didn't find the solution to this character's problems very satisfying. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 28, 2017 |
Koontz is brilliant at making a 500 page book seem light as a feather. My only problem with speeding through this book was coming to the end of this excellent book. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
The life of a writer is one they create and can only be controlled by them. Bibi had an extraordinary imagination. The world she created was wild. I loved the ending!!! ( )
  Courtney824 | Oct 16, 2016 |
***** 5 out of 5 stars
2015 TOP PICK
Review by: Stacy Palm

It is often the case that my most treasured reads are the absolute most difficult to review. For one, I want you to be able to experience the book as I did with as little knowledge as possible about what transpires on the pages within. Second, there is no way the words I write about the book will ever do it justice, as I'm simply not that talented of a writer as my favorite authors. So I'm left with this exasperating need to just beg you to go get the book and read it for yourself.

Ashley Bell was one of the most enthralling stories I've read this year, and I've read nearly a hundred books this year. I'm going to give very little of the actual story to you because reading this is a journey with the destination best left unknown. I will tell you that this is the story of Bibi Blair. "Wait, not Ashley Bell?" you say. Yes, that was my initial reaction as well, but Ashley comes later. Bibi has to be one of my top five leading female characters OF ALL TIME. Seriously, she is up there with Jane Eyre; she simply ROCKS. She is creative and intelligent both of which make her a badass bookish heroine, and she really loves her dog. The story jumps around a bit from the present where Bibi is in her early twenties to her childhood. Very early on something catastrophic happens to Bibi and so begins the adventure that leads Bibi around California in search of a girl by the name of Ashley Bell.

Bibi as a character is easily the center of attention, but some of the other characters are just as stellar. Pax, Bibi's fiance is honestly not in the story that much, but the pages he is on bring to light a dynamic, captivating, and thoroughly intriguing gentleman, who also happens to be a Navy SEAL. Pogo, the brother from another mother, is a great example of a kind and honest friend. I truly loved that this book was filled with so many people who seem genuinely good-natured. Often I find that books are required to have an overload of turmoil between various characters, and it was nice to see a book where all the family and friends where pulling together and had respect for each other.

At about 70% through the book, a mind-blowing development is made, and the talent with which Dean Koontz writes becomes crystal clear. This author not only manages to keep a pivotal aspect of the story secret, he does it with such finesse that I was not even suspect of the situation. This is one of the very few books where I had not perceived the turning point that would occur, and I'm a smart reader. It is mind-boggling to me how talented Mr. Koontz is in creating tension and wonder during the story without "turning on the lights" until the exact right moment. I will be honest, I've not read many Dean Koontz books, nor have I ever considered myself a fan. After reading Ashley Bell, that has all changed. I will be seeking further books and anticipating new novels with delight.

As I stated from the beginning, I beg you to go get this book.

Full reviews available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

Who is Ashley Bell?

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz comes the must-read thriller of the year, perfect for readers of dark psychological suspense and modern classics of mystery and adventure. Brilliantly paced, with an exhilarating heroine and a twisting, ingenious storyline, Ashley Bell is a new milestone in literary suspense from the long-acclaimed master.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:16:17 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Dean Koontz's book Ashley Bell was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,225,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible