dismiss

Who Was Harriet Beecher Stowe?

by Dana Meachen Rau

Born in Connecticut in 1811, Harriet Beecher Stowe was an abolitionist, author, and playwright. Slavery was a major industry in the American South, and Stowe worked with the Underground Railroad to help escaped slaves head north towards freedom. The publication of her book, Uncle Tom's Cabin, a scathing anti-slavery novel, fanned the flames that started the Civil War. The book's emotional portrayal of the impact of slavery captured the nation's attention. A best-seller in its time, Uncle Tom's Cabin sealed Harriet Beecher Stowe's reputations as one of the most influential anti-slavery voices in US history.… (more)

I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason I enjoyed this book was because I found the information interesting. I did not know who Harriet Beecher Stowe was until reading this book. She helped inspire people to change their viewpoints about slavery. I find the topic of slavery fascinating because my favorite subject is history. The second reason I liked this book was because of the illustrations of her life experiences. For example, there is a page in the book with pictures of some of the Beecher family and under their picture is a caption about their life. The message of this book is to tell the life story of Harriet Beecher Stowe and explain how she contributed to society by writing a book that fought against slavery. ( )
  mbands4 | Oct 11, 2016 |
Did Harriet Beecher Stowe start the Civil War? Abraham Lincoln may have greeted her with a statement to that effect! In 1851, Harriet was horrified by slavery and set out to write a few episodes of a story detailing the cruelty of slavery. It ended up being 40 chapters and turned into the controversial novel UNCLE TOM'S CABIN. The book was not well received by the public because it shed such a spotlight on the horrors against humankind that slavery is. It was dangerous to even own the book in the South. This is an interesting illustrated biography from the extensive WHO IS...?/WHO WAS...? biography series with almost 100 names available. ( )
  NickiSlater | Aug 18, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,126,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible