Unleashing the Ideavirus by Seth Godin

Unleashing the Ideavirus

by Seth Godin

Maybe the dated internet boom references caused problems for me, but I wasn't impressed with this book. Maybe the whole virus/sneezing metaphor was just too weird for me. ( )
  stringsn88keys | Aug 7, 2012 |
All of those who read this book in order to find a formula or even a guideline are in for a disappointment. This is not a textbook, this is a book written to give one an idea. The book does not teach you how, or why, it opens up a whole new way of thinking and gives the reader new directions to embrace change, and follow new ideas in order to take the business in a new direction.

This book has given me many things to think about, I view the marketing department in a whole new way, and as someone who has a say in the company, I even bring out new ideas which break the mold and take the company into a new direction.
This book has given me the tools to come up with those ideas. ( )
  ZoharLaor | Jan 6, 2010 |
Great from a Viral Marketing standpoint. Godin's advice is always simple and easy to understand for me. I take golden nuggets from all of his books. I recommend ( )
  markdeo | Apr 9, 2009 |
Started reading this one years ago and going to pick it up and read more - it reminds us how the "word of mouse" mentality works with ideas.
  JRandolphT | Mar 20, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786887176, Paperback)

Treat a product or service like a human or computer virus, contends online promotion specialist Seth Godin, and it just might become one. In Unleashing the Ideavirus, Godin describes ways to set any viable commercial concept loose among those who are most likely to catch it--and then stand aside as these recipients become infected and pass it on to others who might do the same. "The future belongs to marketers who establish a foundation and process where interested people can market to each other," he writes. "Ignite consumer networks and then get out of the way and let them talk."

Godin believes that a solid idea is the best route to success in the new century, but one "that just sits there is worthless." Through the magic of "word of mouse," however, the Internet offers a unique opportunity for interested individuals to transmit ideas quickly and easily to others of like mind. Taking up where his previous book Permission Marketing left off, Godin explains in great detail how ideaviruses have been launched by companies such as Napster, Blue Mountain Arts, GeoCities, and Hotmail. He also describes "sneezers" (influential people who spread them), "hives" (populations most willing to receive them), and "smoothness" (the ease with which sneezers can transmit them throughout a hive). In all, an infectious and highly recommended read. --Howard Rothman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:37 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,247,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible