Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Season of Lightning by Kate Avery…

The Season of Lightning (edition 2015)

by Kate Avery Ellison

Member:KateAveryEllison
Title:The Season of Lightning
Authors:Kate Avery Ellison
Info:Kate Avery Ellison (2015), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 321 pages

The Season of Lightning by Kate Avery Ellison

*Note: I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.*

This story was kinda predictable and frustrating although the Author did develop the characters towards the end of the tale. The heroine is somewhat unlikable in the beginning being so spoiled and sheltered, she often would rebel then get extremely butt-hurt and cry endlessly when things didn't go her way.
I do like the writers style with the letter correspondence, I was able to be drawn into the characters lives a little more.
Overall this is an okay novel but ends right when you starting to enjoy the chatacters. ( )
  c3nessa | Nov 16, 2015 |

The Season of Lightning was a solid read that is reminiscent of the civil war era - dealing with issues of race, slavery, plantations, and the wealthy elite.
I loved the realistic character growth of the main character Verity. Her ignorance about the world around her is cushioned by her lavish lifestyle; but soon that ignorance is transformed as she opens her eyes and becomes an informed, intelligent adult who is fully aware of all the racism/slavery around her. She learns her privilege can be used to help challenge and change the world for the better. She also happens to fall in love along the way and I have to say that I really enjoyed the romance. It wasn't the focus of the story, but was well developed and quite lovely.
An enjoyable read that had several twists and turns that kept me guessing every time I thought I had everything figured out. ( )
  clear_tranquil | Oct 24, 2015 |
This is a book that you end up thinking of long after the final word is read. I love the characters and the setting. The plot was beautifully written and I look forward to reading more from the author.

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via LibraryThing. ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Oct 19, 2015 |
I received a copy from the author for a honest review. The storyline is about the inequality between different races and how Verrity evolves from a spoiled child into a strong woman. At first, I was annoyed at her childish ways but then realized that she was brought up in a society of privilege. Towards the end of the book, I was pleasantly surprised as I thought I had figured out who the Hawk was but overall it was a good read. ( )
  FReads | Oct 9, 2015 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I started this book expecting a silly love story. Boy was I wrong. It was about slavery and war. It was written in an intriguing way and I love it. A must read in my eyes. ( )
  Kim10101 | Oct 6, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Kate Avery Ellison's book The Season of Lightning was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,469,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible