Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?: Trusting God…

Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?: Trusting God with a Hope Deferred

by Carolyn McCulley

1113108,775 (4)1

One the whole, this is a great book, and I quite appreciate McCulley's approach to her topic. She offers much practical advice, but does so with a an eye to spiritual considerations. She is sympathetic to the trials that single women face, but doesn't encourage women to engage in self-pity or blame others (men, their churches etc) for being single. Instead, she focuses on how we can do God's will and serve others.

Having said that, there are a few caveats:

1. She keeps quoting Douglas Wilson, who I generally find extremely problematic. The bits she quoted weren't bad, but I would not want someone to read her and then move onto WIlson - who's outlook on women wavers between openly chauvinistic and patronizing.

2. At one point, she openly states that women were created to help men. Wrong. Women were created to glorify God and enjoy him forever.I suspect that this unqualified statement was just a poorly worded and thought out sentence that got missed in the editing process, but it really spoils one chapter.

3. The first 2 caveats are kind of nitpicky, but this last one is actually a pretty glaring hole. When talking about careers, McCulley doesn't seem to think that a woman's career might be an essential part of her calling. As a single woman, I believe that glorifying God in my career is an essentail part of my calling and my life as a Christian. While McCulley encourages women to work dilligently in their careers, she implies that a career is a secondary part of our lives. Just as married women should put their family first, single women should put serving their church, working in charities etc first. Now, there may be some truth to this, but just as men serve God through their vocation, so do women. I wish that MCulley recognized this. Should I be active in my church and hospitable to other Christians? Absolutely. But I also serve God daily in striving for excellence in my career and applying his Word to the daily choices I make. ( )
1 vote kathleen.morrow | Jul 23, 2010 |
Carolyn McCulley has written Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye? for Christian single women, particularly for women who remain single beyond the time when most women are married. It's a book full of encouragement--encouraging the single woman to trust God with his plan for her life and to live her life fully for His glory. ( )
  rbclibrary | Mar 1, 2008 |
Carolyn McCulley has become one of my favorite people! This book is just a great resource for single women of any age to help them make the most of their time. "Teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom," right?
  joannaholbrook | Nov 2, 2005 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,034,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible