Flightsend by Linda Newbery

Flightsend (1999)

by Linda Newbery

Charlie’s mother, Kathy, decides to move to the countryside in a place called Flightsend. Flightsend is a way for Kathy to get away from her old life. Ever since Kathy gave birth to a stillborn, she has not been the same. Her daughter would have been named Rose. As a result, Kathy quits her job and dumps her boyfriend. Charlie does not see how moving to Flightsend will help anything, especially herself. Now, Charlie will be far from all of her friends. However, soon after moving, Charlie lands a job waitressing at Nightingales and realizes she may be wrong about Flightsend.

I did not enjoy Flightsend. None of the characters held my attention. They were all kind of boring. The plot was not much better than the characters. Most of Flightsend deals with Kathy’s midlife crisis and how it all affects Charlie. I almost felt as if Flightsend dealt too much with Kathy’s problems. At times, I felt that this novel should not be labeled YA. This is especially bad considering that the novel is in Charlie’s point of view. My next dislike is completely subjective. I really did not like the font that Flightsend is printed in. The font is 12 pt. New Baskerville. This is the first time that a font has really bothered me in a novel, and I really think I would have enjoyed Flightsend slightly more if it was printed in another font. :/

On a more positive note, there was one thing that I enjoyed about Flightsend. While the things I dislike outweigh the thing I like, I think it is still worth mentioning. Flightsend takes place in England, and I did enjoy reading the English dialect. There were probably a few other small things that I liked about Flightsend, but I can’t remember them at the moment. Come to think of it though, if I can’t remember the things, then I must not have liked them too much… ( )
  koalatees | Jun 18, 2009 |
For Liz

Flightsend is Charlie's new home, whether she likes it or not. Her mother sees it as an end to all that's gone so tragically wrong, a chance for a fresh start. Although Charlie believes that her mother is intent on making disastrous mistakes, she can only offer support -- but who will support Charlie with Sean out of their lives? And she's certain that the move to a remote, ramshackle cottage will just make things worse."--Dustjacket flap.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible