Sisters of the Revolution: A Feminist…

Sisters of the Revolution: A Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology (2015)

by Ann VanderMeer (Editor), Jeff VanderMeer (Editor)

Other authors: Eleanor Arnason (Contributor), Kelly Barnhill (Contributor), Octavia E. Butler (Contributor), Leonora Carrington (Contributor), Angela Carter (Contributor)26 more, L. Timmel Duchamp (Contributor), Carol Emshwiller (Contributor), Kelley Eskridge (Contributor), Angelica Gorodischer (Contributor), Hiromi Goto (Contributor), Eileen Gunn (Contributor), Nalo Hopkinson (Contributor), Leena Krohn (Contributor), Tessa Kum (Editorial assistant), Ursula K. Le Guin (Contributor), Tanith Lee (Contributor), Rose Lemberg (Contributor), Pat Murphy (Contributor), Nnedi Okorafor (Contributor), Susan Palwick (Contributor), Dominik Parisien (Editorial assistant), Kit Reed (Contributor), Anne Richter (Contributor), Joanna Russ (Contributor), Pamela Sargent (Contributor), Vandana Singh (Contributor), Rachel Swirsky (Contributor), Karen Tidbeck (Contributor), James Tiptree Jr. (Contributor), Catherynne M. Valente (Contributor), Elisabeth Vonarburg (Contributor)

Like all good books, this one seemed to jump off the shelf of the bookstore at the right time when I needed it. I'm not finished with this book - yet. But I had to write a review anyway.

This is the kind of literature I want in my life, in the world, in classrooms and on lists of The Best. These are the kinds of stories I want the next generation to grow up on. These are stories that explore and lift up the complexities of what it is to be a woman - in the past and in the now and in the future. A mother and not a mother; a daughter and a sister; to know womanhood as involving men but fighting against a history of being defined by them; to be a lover or never love at all; to be a man that menstruates and a woman that owns power; where friendship is complicated and more beautiful than romance.

These stories remind me of the pieces of myself that I hide from the world because all but a few in the world can accept how complicated it is to be female and woman and powerful and gentle. Every story leaves me wanting to sit with it after it's done, to think and reflect and feel. This is not something I generally do with my stories; because most are good romps and I'm ready for the next one. But these ... these are going to stay with me to re-read for a life. ( )
  e2d2 | Jun 2, 2017 |
I supported the kickstarter for this as it sounded like a project worth supporting and, after a period that was longer than expected, it finally arrived. And… it was worth the wait. It’s a strong and varied selection around ten of the twenty-nine stories in the anthology. I’m amused by the back-cover blurb’s description of thr anthology as a “highly curated selection”, as if the VanderMeers put MOAR EFFORT into it than every other anthology editor. Having said that, I don’t know how many stories they read in order to make their choices. but judging by comments on Twitter, Facebook, etc, it was a hell of a lot. I don’t think every story they chose works, although that’s more a matter of personal taste – I’m not a fan of genre fiction that plays fast and loose with rigour, or indeed any mode of fiction that does, nor stories that are too allegorical or too consciously presented as fables. Which is not to say there are not some bloody good stories in Sisters of the Revolution – in fact, the opener, ‘The Forbidden Words of Margaret A.’ by L Timmel Duchamp, is one of the best stories I’ve read in a long time. And Ursula LeGuin’s ‘Sur’ was not only new to me but also one of the best by her I’ve ever read. James Tiptree Jr’s ‘The Screwfly Solution’ remains as scarily effective as it was the day I first read it. Octavia Butler’s ‘The Evening and the Morning and the Night’, Kelly Barnhill’s ‘The Men Who Live in Trees’, Angela Carter’s ‘The Fall River Axe Murders’, Joanna Russ’s ‘When It Changed’ and Eileen Gunn’s ‘Stable Strategies for Middle Management’ are all worth the price of admission. I’d definitely say Sisters of the Revolution is one of the strongest anthologies I’ve seen for quite a while. ( )
1 vote iansales | Mar 15, 2016 |
An exemplary collection of feminist speculative fiction, with a nice combination of contemporary and classic authors. Although, as with all anthologies, some stories appeal more than others, there wasn't a story here that I felt didn't belong. (Disclaimer: I was a Kickstarter backer for this project, which really just means I paid for my copy quite a bit in advance.)

Stories that especially stood out for me:
"The Forbidden Words of Margaret A." by L. Timmel Duchamp
Speculative *legal* fiction about a woman, seemingly ordinary, but the power of whose words are so intense the Constitution has been amended to stop her.
"The Screwfly Solution" by James Tiptree Jr.
Best last line ever.
"Gestella" by Susan Palwick
What if a werewolf fell in love with a human? How would that actually work?
"When It Changed" by Joanna Russ
A classic that I should have known already; powerful.
"The Evening and the Morning and the Night" by Octavia Butler
A horrifying new disease, human-created, and the issues of stigma and treatment -- which sounds maybe dull, but is incredibly not so.
"The Grammarian's Five Daughters" by Eleanor Arnason
A fairy tale to make an English professor smile. A lot.

In addition to these writers, there's Ursula LeGuin, Angela Carter, Nalo Hopkinson, Nnedi Okorafor, Carol Emshwiller, Eileen Gunn, Karin Tidbeck and many others. If you're interested in speculative fiction from a feminist view point, this is a must-have. ( )
1 vote chelseagirl | May 22, 2015 |
Those who don't possess a buried memory of humankind's obscure and ancient past are condemned to repeat it. So thank the Goddess for "Sisters of the Revolution," a superlative new anthology of previously published feminist science fiction by female writers, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer. Noted editors of numerous anthologies of speculative fiction, the VanderMeers have compiled one of the best volumes of feminist — or any other — science fiction in years.

VanderMeer, AnnEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Valente, Catherynne M.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vonarburg, ElisabethContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jury, AdamDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McPhee, JoshCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

An anthology of feminist speculative fiction from PM Press. Conceived by Jef Smith, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer, and partially funded by Kickstarter.

The forbidden words of Margaret A., by L. Timmel Duchamp

And Salome danced, by Kelley Eskridge

The perfect married woman, by Angelica Gorodischer

The glass bottle trick, by Nalo Hopkinson

Their mother's tears: the fourth letter, by Leena Krohn

The screwfly solution, by James Tiptree, Jr.

Seven losses of na Re, by Rose Lemberg

The evening and the morning and the night, by Octavia Butler

The sleep of plants, by Anne Richter

The men who live in trees, by Kelly Barnhill

Tales from the breast, by Hiromi Goto

The Fall River axe murders, by Angela Carter

Love and sex among the invertebrates, by Pat Murphy

When it changed, by Joanna Russ

The woman who thought she was a planet, by Vandana Singh

Gestella, by Susan Palwick

Fears, by Pamela Sargent

Detours on the way to nothing, by Rachel Swirsky

Thirteen ways of looking at space/time, by Catherynne M. Valente

Home by the sea, by Elisabeth Vonarburg

Sisters of the Revolution gathers a highly curated selection of feminist speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy, horror, and more) chosen by one of the most respected editorial teams in speculative literature today, the award-winning Ann and Jeff VanderMeer. Including stories from the 1970s to the present day, the collection seeks to expand the conversation about feminism while engaging the reader in a wealth of imaginative ideas. From the literary heft of Angela Carter to the searing power of Octavia Butler, Sisters of the Revolution gathers daring examples of speculative fiction's engagement with feminism. Dark, satirical stories such as Eileen Gunn's "Stable Strategies for Middle Management" and the disturbing horror of James Tiptree Jr.'s "The Screwfly Solution" reveal the charged intensity at work in the field. Including new, emerging voices such as Nnedi Okorafor and featuring international contributions from Angelica Gorodischer and many more, this collection seeks to expand the ideas of both contemporary fiction and feminism to new fronts. Moving from the fantastic to the futuristic, subtle to surreal, these stories will provoke thoughts and emotions about feminism like no other book available today. Other contributors include Anne Richter, Carol Emshwiller, Eleanor Arnason, Hiromi Goto, Joanna Russ, Karin Tidbeck, Kelley Eskridge, Kelly Barnhill, Kit Reed, L. Timmel Duchamp, Leena Krohn, Leonora Carrington, Pamela Sargent, Rose Lemberg, Susan Palwick, Tanith Lee, Ursula K. Le Guin, and Vandana Singh.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,551,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible