The Sandman: Overture by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: Overture (2015)

by Neil Gaiman, J.H. Williams, III (Illustrator)

Other authors: Todd Klein (Letterer), Dave McKean (Illustrator), Dave Stewart (Colorist)

Series: The Sandman (prequel)

English (32)  Dutch (1)  All languages (33)
... in which Morpheus tries to act as go between with his estranged parents Father Time and Mother Night.

OK so since Neil Gaiman last wrote Sandman he has divorced the mother of his children and remarried. Of course this was always going to bleed into the story of his best loved storyteller. I didn't mind it.

Having a character called Hope was a little on the nose but who am I to judge when I gave my only daughter the same name?

Cameos from the Kindly Ones and the Endless siblings with brief glimpses of the Corinthian, Merv, Mad Hettie et al made this a kind of greatest hits tour, but it's all good. It's Gaiman writing Sandman and it's gorgeous.

All the essays at the end interviewing the various creators were kind of excellent also. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Re-reading Sandman, I wondered how much of it worked because of its specific time and place in comics and pop culture (riding an alt-comic/grunge counter-culture wave). This volume, however, stands strongly on its own merits. Gaiman's world-building is as strong as ever, and JH Williams' art is annoyingly fantastic. ( )
  rorytoohey | Mar 1, 2019 |
Who could ask for anything more?

Well, I could - please give us more Morpheus, Neil Gaiman. As well-deserved as his praise is for his prose writing, nothing he's done holds a candle to Sandman. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
The characters are readily the best part of the story, and Delirium, whom I always want more of, is wonderful in this. The artwork in Overture is also among the best of the whole series. However, the story itself felt chaotic and disconnected. I frequently found myself checking to see if I'd missed a page when I hadn't. I never got the sensation of being drawn in which I've come to expect from this series. Overall I found it disjointed and unsatisfying. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Dec 27, 2018 |
Sandman is the graphic novel series that made Neil Gaiman famous. Twenty-five years after Sandman first appeared, Gaiman returns to it with Sandman's origin story.

The art is beautiful. The story starts off confusing for me, but comes together beautifully. The characters are developed in a fine and convincing way.

I hesitate to say more about this. It seems to me to be important to discover the story as Gaiman and his co-creators unfold it for us. So this is a very short review.

Highly recommended. Read it! ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, J.H., IIIIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, DaveColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Karen Berger. You made it happen.
And for the SANDMAN periodical editorial team, who scribbled down my corrections and caught up with me in strange places between 1988 and 2015: Art Young, Tom Peyer, Alisa Kwitney, Lisa Aufenanger, Shelly Bond, Jenny Lee, and Shelly Bond again.
You were the dream team, and you did your work in the shadows. I'm grateful. - Neil
I dedicate the work in this book to my ever-enchanting wife, Wendy Williams. Many have little understanding that such a thing as SANDMAN: OVERTURE could not possibly exist as you see it here without her.
She is the stuff of dreams. - J.H.
It was a small planet.

Presents the Sandman's origin story from the birth of a galaxy to the moment that Morpheus is captured.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,435,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible