10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the…

10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Alanna Collen (Author)

Member:Bookmarque
Title:10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness
Authors:Alanna Collen (Author)
Info:Harper (2015), 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:science, biology, library, 2017, 10/17

10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness by Alanna Collen (2015)

How your body's microbes hold the key to health and happiness
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Interesting topic, lots of information. Not all of it is new, and it is fairly one sided, picking data to confirm, rarely to dispute ideas. Also - the writing is less concise than necessary. It seems a bit... one chapter per thought, jumping from example to story to person, where much less would have been my preferred style. ( )
  andreas.wpv | Nov 25, 2015 |
descriptions are good.. just a few salient points..arguments for veges and fiber...benefits of prebiotics (food for bacteria) may be as important as the probiotic...
encourage bifido bacteria and akkermansia muciniphila;
  bzb2brown | Oct 17, 2015 |
Once received, I'll read & review this.
  yamayukkikun | Apr 16, 2015 |

In this riveting, shocking, and beautifully written book, biologist Alanna Collen draws on the latest scientific research to show how our personal colony of microbes influences our weight, our immune system, our mental health, and even our choice of partner. She argues that so many of our modern diseases—obesity, autism, mental illness, digestive disorders, allergies, autoimmunity afflictions, and even cancer—have their root in our failure to cherish our most fundamental and enduring relationship: that with our personal colony of microbes.

Many of the questions about modern diseases left unanswered by the Human Genome Project are illuminated by this new science. And the good news is that unlike our human cells, we can change our microbes for the better. Collen's book is a revelatory and indispensable guide. It is science writing at its most relevant: life—and your body—will never seem the same again.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 05:00:12 -0400)

"You are just 10% human. For every one of the cells that make up the vessel that you call your body, there are nine impostor cells hitching a ride. You are not just flesh and blood, muscle and bone, brain and skin, but also bacteria and fungi. Over your lifetime, you will carry the equivalent weight of five African elephants in microbes. You are not an individual but a colony.Until recently, we had thought our microbes hardly mattered, but science is revealing a different story, one in which microbes run our bodies and becoming a healthy human is impossible without them.In this riveting, shocking, and beautifully written book, biologist Alanna Collen draws on the latest scientific research to show how our personal colony of microbes influences our weight, our immune system, our mental health, and even our choice of partner. She argues that so many of our modern diseases--obesity, autism, mental illness, digestive disorders, allergies, autoimmunity afflictions, and even cancer--have their root in our failure to cherish our most fundamental and enduring relationship: that with our personal colony of microbes.Many of the questions about modern diseases left unanswered by the Human Genome Project are illuminated by this new science. And the good news is that unlike our human cells, we can change our microbes for the better. Collen's book is a revelatory and indispensable guide. It is science writing at its most relevant: life--and your body--will never seem the same again"-- "An argument for the importance of gut bacteria in the human body and how this affects our health and well-being"--… (more)

Alanna Collen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,161,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible