Earth 5 by Hustin Lindenhall
541,436,638 (4.13)None

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I honestly don't know what to think about this series of books and had a hard time reading the whole thing. At first I almost called the kids in to read to them but then I realized it had a few words I wouldn't want to read to them. Not sure who this is marketed to because it seems like it is created for a younger crowd but. . . I found some stories boring and others funny and some just. . . ( )
  thicks | Jul 27, 2015 |
“As you get older it’s easy to forget where you come from and why you’re here. It’s important to try to remember. So we like to ask our children.”
Sixteen year old Hustin loves living in Colorado with his grandparents. He lives in a cabin he and his friend Russell built with their own hands, collects rainwater to drink and eats fresh fruit and vegetables out of his grandmother’s garden. Hustin also loves hiking in the mountains. On one particular hike, Hustin comes across a strange guy sleeping in the forest, he doesn’t speak but seems to understand Hustin, and he is wearing different clothes, and he seems to have webbed hands and black eyes. Hustin brings the strange guy back to his cabin since he seems a little lost. Hustin’s friend Tonya is there and can communicate with the guy, whose name is Astol. They learn that Astol is from another planet, Earth 24 and that they inhabit Earth 5, a planet that has come off the chain of the 28 Earths. Their time with Astol may be short, but the lessons they learn from one another are life-long.
This was a very imaginative story with great messages, and was just a fun read. It did take me a few chapters to get into the story; the first few chapters seemed like quick, disjointed anecdotes of Hustin’s childhood. However, once Astol arrives on the scene the plot flows very smoothly. I was very interested in Astol’s planet, the chain of Earths and how Earth 5 became unchained. The science behind the explanations is pretty well thought out and very creative, I’m glad there were illustrations to go along with them, too. Most of all I liked when Hustin and Tonya had to explain all the little idiosyncrasies of life on Earth 5 to Astol, and when Astol explained how simply things were done on Earth 24. There were a lot of good things to think about in these conversations, as well as good messages of creativity, innovation and hope. Earth 5 is appropriate for young adults and enjoyable for adults as well.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Jul 8, 2015 |
With a name like "Earth 5" I knew the book would be about science fiction/fantasy and I was right. This is a cute, well written book that follows the lives of Hustin and Tonya and their new friend from another planet. The book is a great read. It depicts how someone from another planet could view the ways and things we have on this Earth. I think kids will really enjoy reading this book. I have a feeling that this is just the first in a series of books with these characters, that I know I will enjoy reading as well. ( )
  tiggersrule28 | May 20, 2015 |
I love this book! It is well written and it had my attention from the first page. I love the way the story unfolds and the way the story ends. I can't wait for the next book and the next and the next. This first book introduces Hustin's and Tonya's talents and I imagine subsequent books will be about their adventures and experience with all the different 'beings' that cross their path. ( )
  jujuqtpie | May 17, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Hustin Lindenhall's book Earth 5 was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Hustin Lindenhall is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,304,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible