Edge of Darkness by Christine Feehan
403285,656 (4.08)1 / 2

Edge of Darkness

Dark Crime - Christine Feehan - No Rating - Blaze McGuire, Maksim Volkov - I will admit I only picked this book up for this story. Sad to say it never grabbed my attention fully. My usual complaint with Feehan is too much repetition and this book is no exception. Maybe I’ll pick it up again one day. Maybe the publishers will do me a favor and put it on audiobook, I’m not sure. Either way this is a DNF for me.

Dead by Twilight - Maggie Shayne - Stars

Cimarron Spirit - Lori Herter - Stars
  bookjunkie57 | Jun 8, 2016 |
4/ 4/ 3.5 ( )
  Janicemo | May 20, 2016 |
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Vivacious Valkyrie and Pack Alpha - Marta & Chelle:

Dark Crime by Christine Feehan (Marta):

It's very hard to keep readers engaged as a series gets longer and it's a trap that many authors fall into. What worked so well in the beginning can become stale and readers constantly demand to be surprised. Ms. Feehan's Dark series has been such an interesting one full of intense emotions, beautiful narrative and incendiary heat. This story is shorter than most and yet is still full of passion and a few surprises and, of course, there's that little thing of claiming a life mate!

I really liked the beginning of this story and felt so much empathy for the heroine Blaze, whose life has been brutally changed forever. She deals with her grief by taking control of her own destiny, but a chance call to a stranger sees yet another rock thrown her way and this time it's a landslide ! The male who answers her call is Maksim and he's definitely not human he us Carpathian and now Blaze has fallen into his world and there's no way Maksim will ever let her leave.

Ms Feehan has somehow stepped away from her previous style and this felt far more modern with a fresh twist. If honest at first I didn't realise it was a Carpathian story and the plot was fuelled by unexpected alliances. Diehard fans will enjoy this but I think those who perhaps felt jaded might also see a fresh approach to tempt them back. I'm happy to report the story was not bogged down by excessive chanting (which many readers find repetitive) and as this story arc continues I know I wil be back for more!

Dead by Twilight by Maggie Shayne (Chelle):

I've been a fan of the Wings in the Night series since book #1, continuing with Wings in the Night: Reborn and Twilight Guardians this last year. I can, without a doubt, say that this was one of my favorite Wings in the Night tales, to date.

Maggie brings us another of her feisty, fiery, independent heroines with Chloe, and I found myself comparing her a bit to Rachel de Luca from Maggie's Brown & de Luca stories. She's just a heroine you love to love and her interaction with the hero was witty, sexy, and full of intrigue.

Overall, the story was smart, fun, and gripping. I am so, SO excited Wings in the Night is back and properly reborn! :)

Cimarron Spirit by Lori Herter (Marta):

This is quite a short read and it's by an author who is completely new to me. Our heroine is Annie an archeologist who, whilst investigating ruins, stumbles upon the find of the century, a vampire! Rafael de la Vega waited a long time for someone to ease his lonely undead life and although at first he wants nothing more than to see the back of the meddling woman as he gets to know more about Annie it's clear that what they both feel could be so much more than mere attraction.

Now nothing is ever that simple and if it was where would the story be? You see Annie is caught up in the midst of the dreaded triangle as Brett, who owns the land she digs on has proposed to her but is it love or just convenience ? Annie proudly proclaims the she is " her own woman " but can she make the right choice for her? A life with a family in the sun or whatever a vampire can offer and then there's the slight problem of Rafaels past and it's a lot closer than Annie realises!

I must point out that I did feel this was very reminiscent of Ms Feehan's work with similar names used and even shifting. I wonder if this was written possibly as a homage or even as fan fiction? Either way it did for this reader end a touch abruptly and I would have liked just a little more but as a quick read to while away an hour it hit the spot perfectly.

OVERALL:
We would recommend this anthology, especially for fans of the authors' series, those who discovered Christine and Maggie's work by first reading Lori Herter, and, of course, any fan of vampire fiction. ( )
  LITERAL_ADDICTION | Aug 3, 2015 |

Christine Feehanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Herter, Lorimain authorall editionsconfirmed
Shayne, Maggiemain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515156213, Mass Market Paperback)

Take an all-new excursion in the world of the Carpathians from #1 New York Times bestselling author Christine Feehan—joined here by Maggie Shayne and Lori Herter, two other masters of vampire romance in an original anthology that takes dark fantasy to rapturous new heights.

Dark Crime by Christine Feehan
Blaze knows who killed her father and she has merciless plans for payback. Until a phone call from a seductive stranger pleads with her to wait. Retribution is in his blood, too. Now, he and Blaze will be united in the blood of the guilty. Tonight, vengeance is theirs.

Dead by Twilight by Maggie Shayne
Bloodsuckers may be an accepted minority but one of them is getting away with murder. Until a female vamp teams with a mortal detective to end the killing spree. Now the night belongs to them—and so does every pleasure and danger lurking in the shadows.

Cimarron Spirit by Lori Herter
While excavating an Anasazi ruin, archeologist Annie Carmichael uncovers the resting place of a centuries-old vampire who finds in Annie the liberating mate he has longed for. But how much is Annie expected—or willing—to surrender for the man she now desires?

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:29:38 -0400)

Dark crime: Blaze seeks revenge for her father's death in this new story set in the world of the Carpathians. Dead by twilight: A female vampire joins a mortal detective to catch a vampire on a murder spree. Cimarron spirit: Archeologist Annie Carmichael literally unearths a vampire who believes she is his mate.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible