All the Stars in the Heavens by Adriana…

All the Stars in the Heavens

by Adriana Trigiani

Trigiani is one of my favorite authors and I am saddened that I just couldn't get into this book. I tried twice, the second time I made it a 100 pages and was just so bored of all the Hollywood descriptions and hungry for anymore of Alda's story. I'd decided to look at some reviews from other readers to see if I was off-base. Many reviews confirmed my feelings on the book as well and I made the decision that not every step up to the plate can be a homerun and take the strike count on this one and walk away. Trigiani is just too damn good for me to give up on though, I will be front and center for her next book. ( )
  she_climber | Jun 20, 2017 |
Just could not get into this, though I really tried. Recommended by Deb A; her book club is reading it. Fiction about Clark Gable & Loretta Young; she has his love child. Slow moving, though. I read half & they were no where near being in love or sleeping together. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | May 25, 2017 |
A portrayal of a strong woman in an industry that consumed its productive talents. Loretta Young stars with Clark Gable and falls in love. On a long, isolated movie shoot they have an affair that results in a pregnancy. But in the days of the Hays Code a moral indiscretion could ruin a star, especially a woman. Loretta waits vainly for Gable to divorce so that they can marry. Their daughter must wait years for the truth. I found the numerous changes of point of view unsettling. Trigiani also frequently tells, rather than shows. While entry to her character's inner lives is essential to the novel it does feel overdone. ( )
  ritaer | Mar 14, 2017 |
This overlong, syrupy sweet book could have been so much better. It tells the story of certain actors in Hollywood in the Golden Age. Chief among them are Loretta Young and Clark Gable. They were costars in Call of the Wild and spent weeks on location near Bellingham Washington shooting. According to this book Loretta and Clark became lovers although Clark was married. Loretta became pregnant with Clark's child and given the time, middle 1930s, she had to hide the pregnancy and the child. Supposedly Clark was trying to get a divorce so he could marry Loretta but his wife held out. Clark saw his daughter, Judy, once soon after her birth but did not contribute to her upbringing or try to have any further relationship. He did get a divorce but then married Carole Lombard. Loretta married a businessman and had two boys by him but the marriage was not a happy one. Judy was never told Gable was her father until after his death when she confronted her mother with the rumours she had heard. Young tells Judy that her father loved her very much but that seems rather doubtful. After Loretta's and Judy's deaths Loretta's son and daughter-in-law revealed that Loretta had told them that Gable had raped her and that they never did have an affair. Whether that is the truth or not it certainly seems like a more interesting angle for a book than this treacly waste of time. ( )
  gypsysmom | Feb 4, 2017 |
I finished the book because I like Adriana Trigiani generally and her books are fast reads but I found it very frustrating. I don't know why anyone would romanticize date rape. ( )
  lincroft | Oct 11, 2016 |

Adriana Trigiani, the New York Times bestselling author of the blockbuster epic The Shoemaker’s Wife, returns with her biggest and boldest novel yet—a hypnotic tale, based on a true story—that dazzles with the signature elements of her previous work—family ties, artistry, romance, adventure—and introduces an unforgettable new heroine: Loretta Young, an ambitious starlet struggling to survive in Hollywood’s dream factory

In this spectacular saga as radiant, thrilling, and beguiling as Hollywood itself, Adriana Trigiani takes us back to Tinsel Town’s golden age—an era as brutal as it was resplendent—and into the complex and glamorous world of a young actress hungry for fame and success. With meticulous, beautiful detail, Trigiani paints a rich, historical landscape of 1930s Los Angeles, where European and American artisans flocked to pursue the ultimate dream: to tell stories on the silver screen.

The movie business is booming in 1935 when twenty-one-year-old Loretta Young meets thirty-four-year-old Clark Gable on the set of The Call of the Wild. Though he’s already married, Gable falls for the stunning and vivacious young actress instantly.

Far from the glittering lights of Hollywood, Sister Alda Ducci has been forced to leave her convent and begin a new journey that leads her to Loretta. Becoming Miss Young’s assistant, the innocent and pious young Alda must navigate the wild terrain of Hollywood with fierce determination and a moral code that derives from her Italian roots. Over the course of decades, she and Loretta encounter scandal and adventure, choose love and passion, and forge an enduring bond of love and loyalty that will be put to the test when they eventually face the greatest obstacle of their lives.

Adriana Trigiani is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,971,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible