The Devil's Gate (The Devil's Gate Trilogy,…

The Devil's Gate (The Devil's Gate Trilogy, #1)

by Rue Volley

332338,203 (3)None

This book made me ranty. Like, really ranty. There were just too many TSTL moments. So here is my warning, this review will be full of ranty spoilers, read at your own risk. I will hide the spoilery parts with a spoiler tag on Goodreads so no one comes across it by accident.

Let's start with the blurb, the "brush with death" was so anti-climactic as to be a non-issue. But this paves the way for Abigail, the uber-naive 23 y/o virgin to come into closer contact with Jack, the dark and depraved billionaire. A little reminiscent of FSOG here. Honestly it was the heroine that I had such an issue with - she was just such a doormat! And stupidly naive and weak. Let's look at some of her stupidly stellar moments here: 1. She has dinner with Jack and he hints that he likes pain with his pleasure. This opens up such a window to the virgin's soul that for the next 3 weeks she can't eat and her school work suffers.

2. She accompanies him to a charity auction hosted by his family where his mother is wearing a nearly-sheer dress. She hears moans coming from behind curtains. Then gets the bright idea that she will volunteer herself to be bid on - not realizing this is a sex slave auction!

3. She gets hit in the head with a door and gets a concussion. The doctor tells her that a side effect of a concussion is that she may turn into a horny beast. Good lord, I have had 8 concussions and never once I have ever been told about or got that side effect!

Then we have Jack, the illusive rich boy. He really came off as a huge douche. They would be together then all of a sudden he would turn cold and distant and she wouldn't hear from him for weeks or months, which necessitates Abigail chasing after him like a sad puppy. Between him, his whack job of a family, and his need to taste blood before he could get off, I just couldn't get behind Jack as a hero. Nothing about the relationship felt genuine. Plus there was this weird three-way instalove with Abigail to Jack and Sam to Abigail, that just didn't make sense. I mean Sam has not seen Abigail for years, since high school, but he is in love with her? I can usually tolerate instalove but it was too extreme in these situations.

So for me, the most interesting aspect of the book was all of the batshit crazy people. First we have Rose, who has been in a mental hospital for years, but then she shows up at the end like: "SURPRISE! Your mom got me miracle meds and I am all fixed now and I love you and you love me and we can live together all happy ever after!" But by far the most interesting character was Jack's dad, who is so bananas they fake his death and stow him in a penthouse mental ward, diagnosed with borderline schizophrenia mixed with some bi-polar and manic depressive states. And like father like son, Jack has already been diagnosed with the same issue and is on medication for it.

The cliffhanger combined with the crazy people and demented family has piqued my interest enough that I will read (or at least skim) the next book to find out what happens. I just hope Abigail matures and stops being such a doormat.

I received an free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 2 stars / 4 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
This book started out somewhat slowly- depending on what you're expecting! To me, I was expecting a bit more of an adult fairy tale for some reason. Please don't make that mistake.

The narration is great, with one small exception. There is an odd ongoing issue with the protagonist- she has these moments where she's thinking to herself and the voice turns very squeaky and childlike. (Not in a good way!) It doesn't happen consistently when she's thinking to herself, which I'm very thankful for. It's easy enough to move past.

Just go into this one with an open mind- you will not regret the listen! I really can't say much about the actual storyline without spoilers except that it is most definitely part adult romance with some BDSM and some other, rather unexpected-but very interesting- elements. If you like like your romance with some depth and intrigue, you'll like it. I'm definitely looking forward to the next part in the series.

I was provided this audio book at no charge by the author, publisher and/or narrator in exchange for an unbiased review. ( )
  littlebear514 | Sep 18, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible