Irrationally Yours: On Missing Socks, Pickup…

Irrationally Yours: On Missing Socks, Pickup Lines, and Other Existential…

by Dan Ariely

This books is selections of Dan Ariely's advice column (think dear Abby, but with a social scientist giving the answers). Dan is highly intelligent and twice as witty. Some of the selections are ridiculous. Some are very basic that Ariely really breaks down and talks about the overall global view of what the problem truly is.

This book makes me want to read more that Ariely has written because these are short examples and small explanations, but as a social economist I am sure he breaks down things down even more thoroughly in other books.

This book would be interesting to use as conversation starters or icebreakers. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

Three-time New York Times bestselling author Dan Ariely teams up with legendary The New Yorker cartoonist William Haefeli to present an expanded, illustrated collection of his immensely popularWall Street Journal advice column, “Ask Ariely”.

Behavioral economist Dan Ariely revolutionized the way we think about ourselves, our minds, and our actions in his books Predictably Irrational, The Upside of Irrationality, and The Honest Truth about Dishonesty. Ariely applies this scientific analysis of the human condition in his “Ask Ariely” Q & A column in the Wall Street Journal, in which he responds to readers who write in with personal conundrums ranging from the serious to the curious:

What can you do to stay calm when you’re playing the volatile stock market?  What’s the best way to get someone to stop smoking?  How can you maximize the return on your investment at an all-you-can-eat buffet?  Is it possible to put a price on the human soul?  Can you ever rationally justify spending thousands of dollars on a Rolex?

In Ask Ariely, a broad variety of economic, ethical, and emotional dilemmas are explored and addressed through text and images. Using their trademark insight and wit, Ariely and Haefeli help us reflect on how we can reason our way through external and internal challenges.  Readers will laugh, learn, and most importantly gain a new perspective on how to deal with the inevitable problems that plague our daily life.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 15 Jul 2015 20:08:36 -0400)

SOCIAL, GROUP OR COLLECTIVE PSYCHOLOGY. Three-time New York Times bestselling author Dan Ariely teams up with legendary The New Yorker cartoonist William Haefeli to present an expanded, illustrated collection of his immensely popular Wall Street Journal advice column, "Ask Ariely." Behavioral economist Dan Ariely revolutionized the way we think about ourselves, our minds, and our actions in his books Predictably Irrational, The Upside of Irrationality, and The Honest Truth about Dishonesty.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,563,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible