Slow Decay (Torchwood) by Andy Lane

Slow Decay (Torchwood) (edition 2007)

by Andy Lane

Member:Barb_H
Title:Slow Decay (Torchwood)
Authors:Andy Lane
Info:Random House UK (2007), Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:Read, Ebook, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Ebook, Fiction, Owned, Read in 2013, Ipad, Series: Torchwood, Science Fiction, Thriller, Aliens, Mystery, Adventure, Action, TV, British, Fantasy

Slow Decay by Andy Lane

Several of my friends regularly watch/watched Dr Who and Torchwood. I managed to never get into Torchwood when it was on the air. I was familiar with the characters and concepts due to catching bits and pieces of the show or hearing friends discuss some point or other. I'm more of a reader than TV watcher, so I started reading this series as I was interested enough to see what it was all about. At first, I had assumed the novels would just retell the events from the TV show, but these are totally different stories. The books do occasionally touch on stuff that happened in the show as the events they portray sort of happen between episodes. After reading the first 12 novels in this series, I actually went back and watched the whole show, too, since I liked the characters so much. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
A good solid book, which uses an interesting and plausible premise, and is pleasingly creepy in places. I loved a lot of the little details about the alien (and the alien tech). The characterisation of Toshiko was spot on and Jack, Gwen and Rhys were also very well done, even if a few of Jack's speeches made it clear we really haven't given John Barrowman enough credit for making some really bad dialogue sound like human speech. I thought the characterisation of Owen was a bit broad. The lack of Ianto made sense since the book is from the period where Ianto was just the teaboy.

Definitely worth a read. ( )
  redfiona | Jul 8, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this ebook version. I thought the book was well written and loved getting a chance to revisit the characters since there are no new shows being filmed. I hope I am able to find and read the rest of the book series. I recommend anyone who enjoyed the show to read this. ( )
  Barb_H | Oct 9, 2013 |
This was by far the best Torchwood yet. All of the characters we love are in sync with their tv persona. Jack is funny and sly, flirty and mysterious. Toshiko is professional, curious and a bit outside the group, Owen is both slime and vulnerable, Gwen is the action, do gooder and Ianto knows everything. Won't give out the plot because it's a good and interesting one, the writer capture the beat and feel of the team, it shows and the plot moves along at a good pace and gets you interested until the end. It's worth getting and reading. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Apr 4, 2013 |

One of the early Torchwood books - set just before Cyberwoman, I think. Andy Lane has written some good Who novels and this too is excellent; good depictions of all the team (not much Ianto, but lots of Owen), and of how alien tech threatens to infilltrate Rhys and Gwen's relationship. I was also impressed by the first season Torchwood novel Border Princes, and on the basis of that and this will now be looking out for more of them. ( )
  nwhyte | Dec 27, 2009 |
To Dave, Alison and Jamie Trace,
for providing me with a Hub of my own in Plymouth
The sky was taking on the appearance of an old bruise as the sun slipped inevitably toward the Cardiff skyline.

Separate from the government; outside the police, beyond the United Nations; Torchwood sets its own rules. A team of investigators, using alien technology to solve crime - both alien and human. This new British sci-fi crime thriller, created by Russell T. Davies, sees them delve into the unknown. A group of people fighting the impossible. The series stars Captain Jack Harkness, last seen in Doctor Who. This novel is a brand-new Torchwood story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:26 -0400)

Eight women have dissapeared over the past few days, and the police fear they may have a serial killer on their hands. As the body count rises and the hungers grow, the Torchwood team realise there may be something much more dangerous than a serial killer at work.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,405,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible