Starborn (The Worldmaker Trilogy) by Lucy…

Starborn (The Worldmaker Trilogy)

by Lucy Hounsom

Originally posted on Book Frivolity!

POV's: Multiple
Narrative: Third person, past tense, subjective.

I am not often completely surprised when I pick up a novel, but Starborn by Lucy Hounsom is such a great debut into the fantasy genre, I was completely and pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the novel and how engrossed I found myself in the story line.

This is classic fantasy all the way! Beautifully rendered locales, a unique but comfortable world building, strong yet flawed characters and lots of running about madly! It has elements that have a feel similar to authors like Rothfuss, Hobb and Canavan, but a plot line that hearkens back to older classics like Eddings. The great thing is, this isn't a rehash, this is all Hounsom.

The main points of view revolve around Kendra the main protagonist, a strong young woman forced to flee her home when her village turns on her, and her rescuers; Bregenne a blind lunar mage that can see with her magic at night and Nadair a healer solar mage, Bregenne's bond partner. They are all really well rounded characters, emotionally and motivationally, and expressive enough to be empathised with. They go through a steady development, and having glimpses into the secondary POV's histories, allows a sense of connection with the reader.

The fractious characters were also well done, they had motive, and the why's for their actions are actually quite understandable. There isn't a character in the bunch that has empty crazy psychopathic overlord machinations to create the malevolence, thank the Gods! The side characters, particularly Kryndra's frenemies, are a bit flat and one dimensional, they weren't much more than devices to move the plot around.

There is a lot of intrigue and mystery surrounding the world and characters of Starborn. Undercurrents of political and faction push and shove abound, and the sense that nobody has a damn clue about what the reality of world actually entails. The thing that kept me hooked was the scattering of clues, little cut scenes or other devices that allows the reader to piece together certain elements, without just throwing a big shock reveal at the end to cover all the bases. There is absolutely a big reveal, no fantasy would be without one, but the little crumbs along the way give groundwork to it, instead of hashing it out of thin air! It's a 'aha!' not a 'what in all the seven hells?' moment.

The magic system is based on lunar and solar powers; each mage only able to utilise one power, only able to access it during the sun or moons presence and losing it at dawn or dusk. It's was not only a great way to show that these mage's aren't all powerful all the time, but it leaves them open to human vulnerability half the day. As the power flows in and out, you can almost see them inflating or deflating, the absence like losing a life spark. To counteract this, they must be bonded to a lunar or solar counterpart, so they can become a complete unit. It's a really smart way of introducing tension to the storyline, not every bond is beneficial and can be manipulated, whilst some can be heartbreaking, especially when it's severed.

The main niggle I encountered when reading Starborn, is the lack of depth and complexity of interaction the main protagonist Kyndra, has with secondary characters. It's not a grand problem in the scheme of things, but it is noticeable in sections. There are encounters that feel skimmed over, when I wanted to see teeth! Enemy to friendship or friendship to disdain, just seemed to slip into place. I want struggle! I want grit! The strange thing is, the secondary Pov's didn't suffer from it, they did have grit and struggle, which in turn made me care about the peripheral relationships more than Kyndra with her friends or enemies. Her internal dialogue is still strong, she isn't a weak character, so it just needs a nudge for it to settle into the sweet spot. Possibly, rounding out those side characters might have helped with this.

The other slight annoyance, and this may just be preference, was feeling caught ooutside the overflow right at the start of the book. There isn't enough time to get a sense of the characters before all hell breaks loose, so I didn't care what happened to them until further on when it pulled back and the pacing settled down. I was feeling 'meh' when I probably should've been having a stronger reaction.

I really want to note Hounsom's way with adjectives! That sounds a bit strange, but her ability to create atmosphere with beautiful yet precise descriptions can be almost like watching a scene, rather than reading it. You probably won't even notice the skill, because by nature it hides in it's own wordery unless you actually stop to take notice. It's not pointlessly flowery to be cumbersome nor so curt it lacks emphasis, it's quite masterful. Hounsom, I think, was a great reader before a writer!

This really is a fantastic book! Hounsom's début surpasses many authors that have well established careers, so I think she'll be a big name in the future with the right backing.

As a side, this is one of those fantasy's that can slip easily into either adult or young adult, like many of the classics can. I don't think I encountered any reason to think it wouldn't be just as suitable for a 15 year old as it would for a 105 year old!

Harcopy Worthy? It's already in April's Wishlust.

- Yes, this review is almost as long as the book. It correlates with how much I enjoyed it!
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
This is always going to be a difficult review to write, because Fantasy is not something I read regularly, so I therefore find it hard to make comparisons with other authors, books etc. I’m not really sure what regular fantasy readers feel makes a good fantasy book, so I may be way off. All I can say is that personally, I thought it was excellent, and I loved it. :)

As I said, fantasy is not something I read regularly, but after chatting to the author about another book we both loved, I decided to take the publisher up on their kind offer of a review copy. I enjoyed the writing style from the beginning, and I knew I was hooked once Bregenne and Nediah turned up, and especially once I started to learn more about their powers – what can be better than a power fuelled by the sun or the moon?!

I really enjoyed the world building from Lucy – I only get to read my books in short bursts, so it doesn’t take much for me to get confused, but not once did I feel lost in this world. From the powers I’ve already spoken about, to airships, to a hidden city, I was able to lose myself in it every time I picked it up.

Kyndra is a great main character, who goes through a lot during the book, but my favourites were Bregenne and Nediah, who are excellent characters both on their own, and also as a pair. They are coupled by their opposing powers, but there’s also their own personal relationship to explore.

I don’t want to go into any more details, but anyone who follows me on twitter will know how much I’ve enjoyed this one. There’s a wrapped up story within this book, but it’s nicely all set up for the next book, which I can’t wait to get my hands on!
  michelle_bcf | Apr 19, 2015 |

Kyndra's fate holds betrayal and salvation, but the journey starts in her small village. On the day she comes of age, she accidentally disrupts an ancient ceremony, ending centuries of tradition. So when an unnatural storm targets her superstitious community, Kyndra is blamed. She fears for her life until two strangers save her, by wielding powers not seen for an age - powers fuelled by the sun and the moon.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,263,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible