Beauty and the Rake (The Rookery Rogues Book…

Beauty and the Rake (The Rookery Rogues Book 3)

by Erica Monroe

195537,190 (3.8)None

Raw and revealing!

What do you do when all you've left to bargain with is your body? When that is all that stands between your father and prison and your younger sister and the streets? Abigail Vautille's father is an inveterate gambler who has gambled away any savings she has and now has lost money he doesn't have in a seedy gambling den. Michael Strickland holds his gambling chits and there is only one way Abigail can see to pay him.
Inspector Michael Strickland of the Metropolitan Police and Abigail Vautille both appeared in Secrets in Scarlet. Abigail was tortured by the dangerous rookery Lark's Gang enforcer, Frank Clowes and left with a badly scarred hand. So bad that she wears a glove day and night to hide her disfigurement.
Abigail determines that her only way forward is as Michael's courtesan for two weeks. An agreement is entered into.
Michael sees the attractive woman he knew from before and reasons that as a denizen of the Rookeries her virtue is gone. He has always admired her and felt guilty about her fate. Now fate has thrown Abigail across his pathway and he will take that advantage.
In her afterward Munroe discusses, amongst other matters, her liking of the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast, and that love is about acceptance. 'Both Belle and Beast are affected by their new found relationship. Beast is no longer trapped in his past pain, and Beauty has found someone who thinks she is incredible just the way she is.'
She postulates that Beauty and Beast co-exist within us--a dichotomy where here, Michael and Abigail harbour both. Munroe continues 'It is our flaws that make us beautiful, as much as our strengths.'
No one ever said that the Rookery series is kind and gentle. The situations are raw and untrammelled and fitting the place in which they are born. Yet out of the darkness does flow love and trust.
A novel of depth and compassion!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Aug 7, 2015 |
Historical Romance

This is the third book of the Rookery Rogues, but can be read as a stand alone.

Beauty and The Rake is the first of this series I have read. Ms. Monroe has created a wonderful take on the old fairy tale, Beauty and the Beast. This is a different type of Victorian novel as it does not involve nobles nor people of quality. I found this very refreshing.

Abigail and Inspector Michael Strickland are definitely not from the noble class. Abigail Vautille lives in impoverishment in the poorest area of Whitechapel. Life is an exhausting business in the rookery. She is disfigured by evil and can no longer work. Her father is an wastrel, who only lives to gamble. She must make a decision that will change everyone's life. To pay her father's gambling debt and save her sister from starvation and worse, she offers herself to Michael for two weeks. Her virginity is a small price to pay for her sister.

Michael carries his own demons. Unbeknown to Abigail, Michael saved her after the torture she received, he felt guilty. He had failed to stop the evil stalking Abigail. He couldn't save his mother and couldn't save Abigail; guilt is a heavy burden.

What follows is fast paced, well developed novel of property, personal demons, real evil, innovations in crime solving, sex, acceptance, and love. A very refreshing historical novel. Thank you Ms. Monroe for such delightful entertainment.

I would recommend this book for young adults to adults.

I received this novel from Netgalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  vera_mallard | Jul 23, 2015 |
The third instalment in 'The Rookery Rogues' series. I had not read the previous two books but this wasn't a problem. The principal parts pertaining to Abigail and her torture were explained and I felt up to date with all the main characters.

It all sounds very exciting and suspenseful with a murderer on the loose and Inspector Strickland wanting to protect her. He is a man with the reputation as a rake and his way of keeping an eye on her is to contract her to his bed in payment of her father's gambling debts. I was expecting Michael to be a man of action but he doesn't actually do much investigating and he takes his time romancing Abigail, allowing her to get to know him and fall in love.

I found the pace of the novel to be quite slow. Eighty five percent of the novel is taken up with Abigail and Michael sitting about his house. It takes a while for things to heat up between them. There wasn't enough suspense to keep my interest. The threat from Mr Clowes finally occurs at eightyfive percent of the way through where he makes his first appearance and things get more exciting here. The story concludes at ninety-one percent and the remainder of the book is taken up with author's notes, acknowledgements and a sneak peak at her new series. ( )
  Inishowen_Cailin | May 3, 2015 |
#3 in "The Rookery Rogues" series, but can be read as a stand alone. I would suggest readers read the others, just because it is an awesome series. A unique story, as it is set in the Rookeries(the slum area) of England.
Fast paced tale with a deliciously wicked blend of danger, suspense and romance. Well written with Ms. Monroe's aplomb for history and her unique writing style. Her characters are bought to life on the pages of her stories. Her characters will pull the reader into the story can hold them in awe. I love how she to brings passion, a bit of danger and romance to her stories. Fans of romance, as well suspense, and passionate stories will devour "Beauty and the Rake". Another hit for Ms. Monroe! An absolute delight, and an enjoyable, satisfying read.

*Received for an honest review from the publisher through Net Galley*

**Cross-posted on My Book Addiction and*

Rating: 4.5
Heat rating: Mild
Reviewed by: April R, courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  tarenn | Apr 19, 2015 |
Damaged by their pasts both Abigail and Michael come together with low expectations for their two weeks together. How the two of them learn, grow and become stronger is the central theme of the story. Though the third book in a series this novel is more than capable of standing alone. Both Michael and Abigail have interesting well developed characters and their growing attraction to one another is well paced and believable. Clowes is a fiendish criminal worthy of being feared and the hope throughout is that he will be recaptured without harming anyone else. Can a young woman move from the grime and drudgery of the rookeries to more upscale Cheapside and live a fairytale life or not? That is the question.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical romances with intriguing facts. I did have to look up some of the terms in a dictionary of slang from the 1800’s but that only made the book more interesting to me.

Thank you Net Galley and Quillfire Publishing for offering me the book to review. ( )
  CathyGeha | Apr 16, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible