Sobriety: A Graphic Novel by Daniel D.…

Sobriety: A Graphic Novel

by Daniel D. Maurer

221476,730 (3)None
Recently added byJamichuk, USFBibliotherapy

Ever since I was a kid scouring the house for enough change to buy X-Men from my local convenience store I have loved graphic novels. I love books in general and believe wholeheartedly in the power of words. But when words and images combine in a storyboard, narrative comes alive. Action in still life.

Images also have the power to communicate important truths. As an adult, some of my favorite graphic novels include Spieglman's Maus and Gene Luen Yang's Boxers & Saints. These novels are both 'historical,' exploring holocaust and national tragedy (respectively). Other Graphic-non-fiction explores politics and social activism (see for example, Joe Sacco's Palestine). I have reviewed on my blog a few different graphic novels exploring religious themes: saints in Christian history, scripture, etc.

Sobriety: A Graphic Novel is different from the above. It too is graphic-non-fiction but its aim is therapeutic. Author Daniel Mauer is a former Lutheran minister and is an active participant in the recovery movement. In Sobriety he combines his skill as a story teller with the art of Spencer Amundson to explore the power of the Twelve Steps.

Sobriety's plot follows what I suspect the conversation in an Alcoholic Anonymous Meeting is like. Mauer's characters come from diverse backgrounds. They each have their own understandings of God and spirituality and the stamp of addiction is different for each of them. Still each finds help through the twelve steps. The conversation begins after Larry the 'old timer' shares in a meeting how he found sobriety. From there a conversation ensues between he and Alex (a gay, Londoner atheist with a Heroin and Ecstasy addiction). Larry is also sought out by Hannah a college freshman who went from honor roll to serious addiction in her first year of college. Their circle widens to include Debby a single mom (a pill-popping-alcoholic) and Matt (a gang-banger and Meth addict). The conversation explores the significance of each of the Twelve Steps as each tries to work through their own issues and experience.

Mauer and Amundson periodically also insert themselves in the comic to visually display rock-bottom, to explore A.A's founding or Victor Frankl's Logotherapy. The multiple narrative makes for an interesting and engaging read and showcases the way A.A. (N.A. or other similar twelve-step-based groups) can help people work through their addiction and find the way to freedom.

I think this book has a good message. At times I wondered if addicts would find this novel a little bit too preachy. I mean, I agree with the message and know people who have been helped through twelve-step programs, but it kind of felt in places like an overgrown Chick-tract (except it didn't go off on an Antisemitic rant or say the pope was the Anti-Christ). But this is a general problem for all fictionalized-narratives put to didactic purposes. I think this is a good graphic novel to fet in the hands of someone getting into recovery because it covers many of the issues and questions addicts face, but it doesn't quite reach as far as 'great literature.' I give it three-and-a-half stars.

Notice of material connection: I received this book free from the author or publisher via Speakeasy, in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 161649557X, Paperback)

Gold Winner of the Midwest Book Award in the self-help category from the Midwest Independent Publishers Association!

Larry, an “old-timer” in recovery circles, believes in the powerful, rich traditions of the Big Book in helping people reinvent themselves. Alex is a Londoner of African descent, gay and an atheist who decided to go to treatment in the States when his Ecstasy and heroin addictions landed him in the hospital. Debby, a single mother in her twenties, is on her third round of treatment. A dreamer, she’s finally owned up to being an addict and wants to live a sober life, but hasn’t quite grasped how much work that’s going to take. At nineteen, Matt is what some might call a “tough case” with meth his drug of choice. He’s deeply lonely but has developed a tough outer shell for protection. Hannah was adopted as a baby and grew to be a smart, high-achiever. Now a college freshman, her rebellious side has taken over, her grades are suffering, and she also struggles with bulimia.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 01 Aug 2015 15:22:45 -0400)

"Through rich illustration and narrative, Sobriety: A Graphic Novel offers an inside look to recovery from the perspectives of five Twelve Step group members, each with a unique set of addictions, philosophies, struggles, and successes while working the Steps. Larry, an "old-timer" in recovery circles, believes in the powerful, rich traditions of the Big Book in helping people reinvent themselves. Alex is a Londoner of African descent, gay and an atheist who decided to go to treatment in the States when his Ecstasy and heroin addictions landed him in the hospital. Debby, a single mother in her twenties, is on her third round of treatment. A dreamer, she's finally owned up to being an addict and wants to live a sober life, but hasn't quite grasped how much work that's going to take. At nineteen, Matt is what some might call a "tough case" with meth his drug of choice. He's deeply lonely but has developed a tough outer shell for protection. Hannah was adopted as a baby and grew to be a smart, high-achiever. Now a college freshman, her rebellious side has taken over, her grades are suffering, and she also struggles with bulimia. The fact that they are all seeking help for addiction is the one thing that ties them together. But their approaches to recovery are as diverse as their backgrounds. As their stories unfold through their interactions as a Twelve Step group, we gain an intimate look at the challenges faced by those in recovery--and at the boundless power of working the Steps in helping people find strength in one another as they reach for a clean-and-sober life. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,411,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible