Dancer's Lament by Ian C. Esslemont

Dancer's Lament

by Ian C. Esslemont

604197,694 (4)13

Wonderful addition to the World of Malaz. A look at Dancer and Kellanved before they become their awesomeness. Laugh out loud funny with Dancer's frustrations with the budding mage he finds himself saddled with as a partner.
  majkia | Dec 21, 2016 |
...All in all, I am quite taken with this novel. Dancer's Lament is a fresh start for the series, and that seems to be just what Esslemont needed. It is one of the more accessible books in the universe of Malaz, but still contains enough links to the other works in the series to make it interesting for readers who have read the other books. This novel shows that, whatever we think we know about this most complex of fantasy worlds, Erikson and Esslemont will keep surprising us with their stories. Even if Esslemont's earlier novels didn't convince you, this one is well worth the read.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | Apr 17, 2016 |
A pleasant enough read: for readers of The Malazan Book of the Fallen it's interesting to see an environment where most of the figures are relatively low-power and/or low knowledge and where the figures who do know aren't saying very much. And, of course, to get an idea of what Kellanved and Dancer were like before they had achieved power and eminence, as well as a number of other later significant figures of whom we have views here. Worth reading for Malazan completists; probably not a good entry point for those who haven't read the other books first. ( )
  jsburbidge | Apr 12, 2016 |
Easily ICE's best book yet. Sharper focus, with fewer POVs and no obfuscation. I didn't find myself particularly invested in the city of Li Heng, but the book was well-paced enough (and short enough) that I was never bored. Fun to see some familiar faces, and a lot of interesting ties to previous ICE books, especially Return of the Crimson Guard. Looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  saltmanz | Apr 6, 2016 |

Ian C. Esslemontprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gerri and the boys
The prize was his and none would rob him of it.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,052,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible