The Smithsonian (Museums of the World) by…

The Smithsonian (Museums of the World)

by Megan Kopp

312,001,085 (4.5)None
Recently added byGabrielleAmaro, ndusodin

I found this informational text rather enjoyable. It had many features that I liked, including the writing, language, and the images, and it gave me information about The Smithsonian that I never would have known otherwise.

I think the writing in this book is great. I say this because it has an evident flow that paces well throughout the book. It is also very engaging, which is great for an informational book that has the potential to bore readers. For example, I enjoy the pages where there is a paragraph or two of text followed by a text box with facts that are highlighted. This feature enhances the book because it draws the eye of the reader and allows them ease into the page without feeling overwhelmed. The page that mentions The National Air and Space Museum through a text box is my favorite!

The language of the book is another feature that sets this book apart from others in its genre. It is descriptive without becoming too complex for a younger reader. There are many bolded words throughout the book that may be words the reader does not know. These bolded words show the reader that it is okay not to know what the word means, because it is about to be defined. I like this feature because it allows the reader to feel comfortable learning new things. The section where they talk about conservators and what they do is a great example of this because the job is explained so clearly.

The images used throughout this book are amazing. I enjoy that each page has at least one image. It brightens up the page and allows the reader to immerse themselves in what the museum would look like if they were actually there. I like the image where they show an expanded view of each separate museum. I like it so much because it gives me, the reader, a precise view of what the museums look like and where they are in relation to one another.

The main message of this book is, naturally, to inform the reader of the different components of The Smithsonian. This was most definitely achieved through the authors keen use of writing, language, and images throughout the text. ( )
  GabrielleAmaro | Mar 16, 2016 |

The Smithsonian Institute boasts the largest and most diverse collection of historical artifacts in the United States. Founded in 1846, the Smithsonian's focus has been to increase and share knowledge with its patrons. Discover more about this incredible museum and its collections in 'The Smithsonian', a Museums of the World book.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,311,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible