Civil War on Sunday by Mary Pope Osborne

Civil War on Sunday

by Mary Pope Osborne

Recently added byrneiss, CapellaHouse, RSSAA, dmcwo, private library, bairdschool, Camilriel

In the series of Magic Tree House, Mary Pope Osborne has brought to life an adventure in the Civil War. This book helps children to understand some of what the Civil War was all about.

In is book Mary tells the story of Jack and Annie and their adventure in ending up at the Civil War. They are eventually enlisted in the Red Cross as nurses assisting Clara Barton, who is introduced in this book. The story goes on to tell about their connections to some of the warriors and their challenges at saving Camelot.

This is a great book that engages children into the world of the Civil War. It helps to teach them about the importance of it and the basics of what the war was about. I think that I would read it aloud to the children a little each day.

One extension to this book would be to let the children dress up as one of the Civil War characters from the book. Maybe even have a "Civil War Character Parade" with the other classes.
Another extension would be to let them place "nurse" like they did in the book. Maybe talk about different things that nurses do and why.
  TARA5X | Mar 8, 2014 |
Very basic lessons delivered through a continuing story. Great for getting major concepts and written to be easily read. Fun but informative. ( )
  childlikelist | Nov 5, 2013 |
I picked this book up expecting to feel brain cells dying as I read it. I was very wrong; I can see why my students enjoy this series so much. It's very well written (albeit extremely simplistic) and interesting. It was an extremely quick read and is educational, to boot! ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 5, 2012 |
I would probably use this book as a lit circle book or read it aloud to the class as a whole, especially if we were talking about the Civil War. I would also possible incorporate books like Underground and Henry's Freedom Box into the unit so that the students could be exposed to as many sides of the Civil War as possible.
  hmischke | Jun 10, 2012 |
This was a great book it was really cute. It acctually was pretty accurette book on civil war. I really liked the the drummer boy he was really nice. It was a really cute book with a great story line. I would recomend this book to all elementy school kids and all perants to give to there elementy school aged kids. ( )
  readerworm12345 | Jan 12, 2012 |
For Megan Elizabeth Barber,
who gave me a great idea
Jack looked out his window.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067989067X, Paperback)

Traveling back in time from the rumbling thunderstorms of present-day Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, to the booming of Civil War cannonballs near Richmond, Virginia, Jack and Annie set out on their 21st Magic Tree House adventure. The mysterious Morgan le Fay, magical librarian of Camelot, the long-ago kingdom of King Arthur, has left the brother and sister a message in their magic tree house, asking for their help saving Camelot. "Please find these four special kinds of writing for my library: Something to follow, Something to send, Something to learn, Something to lend." Jack and Annie enthusiastically transport themselves to a field near the fighting, and soon are enlisted as volunteer nurses assisting none other than Clara Barton, legendary "Angel of the Battlefield," as she drives her horse-drawn ambulance right onto the battlefields to help save wounded soldiers--including one with a very special connection to Jack and Annie.

Mary Pope Osborne's tremendously popular Magic Tree House series launches into a new realm, as Jack and Annie are challenged to save Camelot. Young readers will effortlessly learn the basics of Civil War history, while losing themselves in another gripping tale that has turned many a nonreader into a bookworm. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:48 -0400)

Jack and Annie are transported by their magic tree house to the time of the Civil War where they meet Clara Barton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible