Light on Yoga

by B. K. S. Iyengar

The definitive work by B.K.S. Iyengar, the world's most respected yoga teacher. B.K.S. Iyengar has devoted his life to the practice and study of yoga. It was B.K.S. Iyengar's unique teaching style, bringing precision and clarity to the practice, as well as a mindset of 'yoga for all', which has made it into a worldwide phenomenon. 'Light on Yoga' is widely called 'the bible of yoga' and has served as the source book for generations of yoga students around the world. It is the classic text for all serious students of yoga. * B.K.S. Iyengar's own photo-illustrated, step-by-step guides to every yoga routine.* Week-by-week development plan - with a total of 300 weeks to allow gradual progression from novice to advanced technique.* B.K.S. Iyengar's unique and inspired guide to Pranayama - yoga breathing techniques.* B.K.S. Iyengar's yoga philosophy for life and an introduction to the spiritual aspects of yoga.* Yoga sequences and asanas to help heal a range of specific illnesses and conditions.… (more)

I wouldn't exactly call this a great read. The introduction is useful for anyone new to yoga but it could probably fill out an entire book on its own so you're really skipping over a lot of ideas in that essay. The bulk of the book is an index of poses and commentary on their usefulness. The index is ESSENTIAL. Particularly the suggested schedule of asanas. This book is defining a trajectory for my practice and basically changing my life. So, yeah, 5 stars for that. ( )
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
its got a huge collection of incredibly specific asanas, but thats literally all it has. no systematic overview or explanations, incredibly sparse and rote programs for progress, inconsistent and often insufficient explanations of poses ( )
  alexanme | Nov 1, 2019 |
This is a great reference book on yoga and its asanas by the well-known BKS Iyengar. My sister and I reference to it frequently as my yoga practice is growing and we live 500 miles apart. Besides a generally good description and photos of each asana, it frequently shows the stages of difficulty. Some asanas are accompanied by stories about great Hindu sages or even the the gods of Hinduism. ( )
  vpfluke | Feb 23, 2019 |
This is a how-to book that only works if you do it all. It's okay, but not wonderful. ( )
  DrLed | Nov 20, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,937,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible