A Master Plan for Rescue: A Novel by Janis…

A Master Plan for Rescue: A Novel

by Janis Cooke Newman

Set during World War II, this is the story of two characters whose lives are profoundly changed during the war. The first is Jack, a young boy growing up in NYC who spends his free time listening to radio shows about heroes fighting evil villains who threaten the safety of the US. When Jack's father dies in a bizarre accident Jack is swept away with the belief that his own heroic acts can somehow bring back his father. Across the ocean is Jakob, a Jew who lives in pre-World War II Berlin. He sees the gradual horror unfolding for Jews in Germany, but his girlfriend has a fatal heart condition and is unwilling to leave. Finally, Jakob finds himself in NYC, and like Jack, he takes on an impossible, but heroic mission, to try and restore part of what he has lost.

This book is beautifully written and I found myself totally immersed in this tale. The descriptions of NYC during the war and pre-war Berlin were detailed and captivating. I loved the historic portions about the SS St. Louis and its failed attempt to bring 900 German Jews to North America. You could feel the fear, the hope, and the despair as the boat left Germany, crossed the Atlantic, only to be turned away by Cuba and the US. Definitely a piece of history that we seem to skim over in US history books!

What captivated me most was the flow of the stories within a story. Absolutely stunning writing and I loved the way the stories and characters intertwined. I listened to this audiobook which had a talented set of narrators, each performing different parts as the point of view changed. In general, I'm not crazy about audiobooks performed by a full cast, but this was very effective, especially since the two main story tellers, Jakob and Jack, were an adult and a 12-year old boy. All the male narrators - Vikas Adam, Paul Boehmer, and Kirby Heyborne were stellar - precise pacing, varied voices for the different characters - definitely a professional and polished performance. However, the final portion of the book is read by Judy Young, and I have to say I was underwhelmed by her performance. She is playing the part of a girl who is deaf, so maybe she was trying to have an annoying accent, but her pronunciation of French words was abysmal and in my opinion, she was not the right person for this book. But overall, 5 big stars for this audiobook. Definitely a spellbinding story that will stay with me for a long time.

I received a free copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review by Audiobook Jukebox. ( )
  jmoncton | Aug 12, 2015 |

"Set in 1942 New York and Berlin, "A Master Plan for Rescue "is an enchanting novel about the life-giving powers of storytelling, and the heroism that can be inspired by love. In essence, it is two love stories. It is the story of a child who worships his parents, then loses his father to an accident and his mother to her resulting grief. And it is the story of a young man who stumbles into the romance of his life, then watches her decline, forever changing the arc of his future. Each is propelled by the belief that if he acts heroically enough, it will restore some part of what -- or whom -- he has lost."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,759,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible