Everyday Grace: Infusing All Your…

Everyday Grace: Infusing All Your Relationships With the Love of Jesus

by Jessica Thompson

In life, it's very important to have relationships with other people. As a matter of fact, it's just about impossible to not have a relationship. We're born in to families. Families grow larger. Then, there are friends made along the way. However, it's also next to impossible not to find ourselves impacted by a bad relationship. In Everyday grace by Jessica Thompson, there is a path to learning how to stay out of the fiery furnace of bad relationships. Why should these bitter times come our way? How can we avoid or mend the bad times? When times are good in a relationship, why?

I experienced a great deal of happy joy while reading this nonfiction book. I had no idea that "grace" could play such an important part in my life with other people who are important to me or who are just acquaintances. Perhaps, the dedication at the front of the book is a clue for those who have not read "Everyday Grace" yet. This dedication is dedicated to Cody. "Your commitment to love me through it all is astounding. You reflect the way Christ loves the church. I love you."

Jessica Thompson's words make me feel open to the miracle of meeting new people. Who knows what may happen on a given day as long as our eyes are centered on Jesus? Bethany House Publishers, amazon.com/Jessica-Thompson ( )
  Tea58 | May 13, 2015 |
Everyday Grace: Infusing All Your Relationships with the Love of Jesus by Jessica Thompson is a great read that reminds you that the Holy Spirit is in control! She starts by telling us that Everyday Grace is anything but another Christian self-help book. This book doesn't tell us what we should and shouldn't do, but instead reminds us of what Christ has done for us. Everyday Grace is a book of hope that keeps us focused on Jesus.

Karma - you do for me and I will do for you. Living with this type of attitude, as most of us do is exhausting.
"The truth is we don’t want ka me, ka thee or karma, even though we think we do. The gospel refutes this idea completely. It is anti-karma and pro-grace. The gospel says that even though you aren’t good enough now and actually never will be good enough in your own good works, I am going to give to you anyway. The gospel tells us that all we have earned has been given to the Son and all the Son has earned has been given undeservingly to us. If we try to rely on karma to see us through, it will be an endless life of working never to obtain. If we rest our souls in the gospel, our lives will be full of receiving, even though we could never work hard enough to receive the gift we have been given." page 4

Each chapter is awesome, the chapter on our children, reminds us of the love of God for ALL of his children. The chapter on friendships reminds us that Jesus is our friend that we can always turn too, a friend that will never let us down. The chapter about our husbands/marriages reminds us of Christ's love for his Church. The chapter on loving difficult people shares how the Holy Spirit is always with us to help and guide us. I enjoyed the entire book but this particular chapter is my favorite, it is a great reminder in letting the Holy Spirit do what he is sent to do.

Everyday Grace has been added to my favorites books to be reread. I think it will be a number one Christianity book for 2015. One I highly recommend to everyone, as we all have relationships of some type.

I received an ARC (advanced reader's copy) from Bethany House in exchange for my honest review, rather it be good or bad. Thank you. ( )
  kykim | Apr 22, 2015 |

Your Grace-Filled Guide to Relationships

Thankfully, it's not all on us. Through stories and biblical teaching, Jessica Thompson helps us move beyond trying to "fix" the people we interact with, and shows us a better way. Though our relationships may be marred by tension and frustration, because we are welcomed and known by Christ, they don't have to stay that way.

"Nothing changes the way we relate to others more than knowing how God relates to us. Knowing how God loves us and forgives us and is gracious and merciful toward us and forbears with us inevitably affects the way we think about other people. My good friend Jessica Thompson has written a book that articulates who God is for us and then shows how that changes the way we are toward others. Thank you, Jessica, for reminding me that God always meets my mess with his mercy and my failure with his forgiveness. Knowing this makes me want to love God and others."--Tullian Tchividjian, founder of Liberate and author of One Way Love: Inexhaustible Grace for an Exhausted World

"We need grace in all our relationships. So much loneliness, feeling betrayed, alienation, anger, vengeance, sadness, grief find their roots in relational conflict. Jessica humbly guides us to see that only by being a recipient of God's grace can we be agents of grace in our relationships. She does this with humor, honesty, and confession from her own experience, not with advice as a relational guru."--Justin S. Holcomb, Episcopal priest, seminary professor, and author of On the Grace of God

"Everyday Grace is for all who have struggled to accept their children and honor their parents and initiate with their neighbors and forgive their spouses and respect their bosses and celebrate their rivals. But it is not filled with practical tips that would trivialize the difficulty of these things. Nor is it a book of relational psychology that would strategize a resolution to these things. Instead, it is filled with the Scriptures that speak to these things--helping us to rest in Christ's covering of all our relational failure and inviting us to change by the power of the Holy Spirit."--Nancy Guthrie, Bible teacher and author

"Relational paradise was lost when our first parents fell into sin. Our desire for change in this area is anywhere between cautiously optimistic and downright cynical. What I enjoy about Everyday Grace is that Thompson simply cannot get over the one hope for true reconciliation: God, in Christ, has befriended us."--Gloria Furman, author of Glimpses of Grace and Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full

"Relationships are hard. We know this. Jessica Thompson knows this too and shares how she fights to take her gaze off herself and onto the only one who can help our broken relationships--Jesus. Her method doesn't come from a list of ways to implement change; rather, she focuses on the gospel that transforms hearts and minds. Be encouraged by the good news as you read Everyday Grace, for it is the gospel that is our only Hope for our relationship problem."--Trillia Newbell, author of Fear and Faith: Finding the Peace Your Heart Craves and United: Captured by God's Vision for Diversity

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 09 Jul 2015 13:06:09 -0400)

Your Grace-Filled Guide to Relationships It's hard, sometimes, to get over that thing your husband said weeks ago; or to resolve that tension with your colleague at work; or to fix a lifelong friendship that's taken a bad turn. The biggest problem with relationships is they always seem to involve sinners--including ourselves. So how can we form strong, resilient bonds with people who, like us, are bound to mess up? Thankfully, it's not all on us. Through stories and biblical teaching, Jessica Thompson helps us move beyond trying to "fix" the people we interact with, and shows us a better way. Though our relationships may be marred by tension and frustration, because we are welcomed and known by Christ, they don't have to stay that way.… (more)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,464,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible