The Mythology of Richard III by John…

The Mythology of Richard III

by John Ashdown-Hill

11None1,205,030 (4)None

No reviews
History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
History is always written by the winners.

Dan Brown, The DaVinci Code
In memory of my dear mother, Joan, who wrote to me that 'your love of history must stem from me as I always loved the subject at school'.
Richard III's life story was rewritten -- and in a thoroughly slanted light -- by the propagandists of his victorious opponents after his death and defeat at Bosworth in August 1485. (Introduction)
Richard III and his elder brother Edward IV, tend to be seen as essentially English in terms of their nationality -- unlke many monarchs who have worn the crown of England, but who have been perceived as half French, or mostly German.

Richard III. The name will conjure an image for any reader. Shakespeare’s hunchback tyrant who killed his own nephews or a long-denigrated, misunderstood king. This one man’s character and actions have divided historians and the controversy has always kept interest in Richard alive. However, curiosity surrounding his life and death has reached unprecedented heights in the aftermath of the discovery his skeleton under a Leicester car park.

The myths that have always swirled around Richard III have risen and multiplied and it is time to set the record straight. John Ashdown-Hill, whose research was instrumental in the discovery of Richard III’s remains, explores and unravels the web of myths in this fascinating book. [retrieved 7/13/2015 from Amazon.com]

'Richard III. The name will conjure an image for any reader. Shakespeare's hunchback tyrant who killed his own nephews or a long-denigrated, misunderstood king. This one man's character and actions have divided historians and the controversy has always kept interest in Richard alive. However, curiosity surrounding his life and death has reached unprecedented heights in the aftermath of the discovery of his skeleton under a Leicester car park. The myths that have always swirled around Richard III have risen and multiplied and it is time to set the record straight. John Ashdown-Hill, whose research was instrumental in the discovery of Richard III's remains, explores and unravels the web of myths in this fascinating book.' -- from back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,588,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible