Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

Lord Jim (1900)

by Joseph Conrad

English (61)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (69)
Classic tale of one man's redemption the "hard" way ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
Meh. Descriptions of scenery were overwrought. Marlow often relates incidents told to him by someone else, and occasionally the person who told him was told by a third person, yet Marlow claims to know the internal motivations of the participants. The romantic pairing was implausible, as the woman Jim falls in love with is, conveniently, the only hot chick in the jungle amongst the rest of the dirty filthy savages. Dated. Definitely does not hold up over time. ( )
  Joanna.Conrad | Nov 4, 2015 |
Lord Jim has haunted me most of my adult life. Jim's would be heroic saga was the one assigned book that I did not read entirely. The one book for which I resorted to using Cliff notes. The horror! I royally botched the test; well at least by my standards I did. I can't explain my failure to make it through the novel. Conrad is one of my favorite writers. Whatever the reason, I have felt badly about it ever since.

On this second reading, I found more reason to push through it, though I admit that at times I needed the impetus of a recording, a remarkably bad livrovox recording. I found the story slow going though enjoyable in a vaguely painful way. I suppose there is an immature part of my psyche that wants to understand Jim as heroic, as Conrad's answer to Billy Budd, but he simply isn't. He is the product of such adventure stories; he is a would be Billy or Quee-quegg but ultimately he lacks the moral resolve. There is no reason for me to expect this. Marlowe makes it clear from the beginning that Jim is not heroic. Yet, Marlowe sees the possibility of his being such. In the end, Marlowe is as perplexed as I am as what to make of Jim or his story. In the end Jim is much like most of us.

Also, there were times I wish Marlowe would just shut up. He seems to drone on and on. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |

Prinzhofer, RenatoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siciliano, EnzoForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, LyndIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watts, CedricEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"It is certain my Conviction gains infinitely, the moment another soul will believe in it."

-Novalis
To Mr. and Mrs. G. F. W. Hope
With Gratefull Affection
After Many Years
Of Friendship
He was an inch, perhaps two, under six feet, powerfully built, and he advanced straight at you with a slight stoop of the shoulders, head forward, and a fixed from-under stare which made you think of a charging bull. His voice was deep, loud, and his manner displayed a kind of dogged self-assertion which had nothing aggressive in it. It seemed a necessity, and it was directed apparently as much at himself as at anybody else. He was spotlessly neat, apparelled in immaculate white from shoes to hat, and in the various Eastern ports where he got his living as ship-chandler’s water-clerk he was very popular.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140180923, Paperback)

When Lord Jim first appeared in 1900, many took Joseph Conrad to task for couching an entire novel in the form of an extended conversation--a ripping good yarn, if you like. (One critic in The Academy complained that the narrator "was telling that after-dinner story to his companions for eleven solid hours.") Conrad defended his method, insisting that people really do talk for that long, and listen as well. In fact his chatty masterwork requires no defense--it offers up not only linguistic pleasures but a timeless exploration of morality.

The eponymous Jim is a young, good-looking, genial, and naive water-clerk on the Patna, a cargo ship plying Asian waters. He is, we are told, "the kind of fellow you would, on the strength of his looks, leave in charge of the deck." He also harbors romantic fantasies of adventure and heroism--which are promptly scuttled one night when the ship collides with an obstacle and begins to sink. Acting on impulse, Jim jumps overboard and lands in a lifeboat, which happens to be bearing the unscrupulous captain and his cohorts away from the disaster. The Patna, however, manages to stay afloat. The foundering vessel is towed into port--and since the officers have strategically vanished, Jim is left to stand trial for abandoning the ship and its 800 passengers.

Stripped of his seaman's license, convinced of his own cowardice, Jim sets out on a tragic and transcendent search for redemption. This may sound like the bleakest of narratives. But Lord Jim is also touching, elevating, and often funny. Here, for example, the narrator describes the ship's captain (proving that clothes do indeed make the man):

He made me think of a trained baby elephant walking on hind-legs. He was extravagantly gorgeous too--got up in a soiled sleeping suit, bright green and deep orange vertical stripes, with a pair of ragged straw slippers on his bare feet, and somebody's cast-off pith hat, very dirty and two sizes too small for him, tied up with a manilla rope-yarn on the top of his big head. You understand a man like that hasn't a ghost of a chance when it comes to borrowing clothes.
This is formidable prose by any standard. But when you consider that Conrad was working in his third language, the sublime after-dinner story that is Lord Jim seems even more astonishing an accomplishment. --Teri Kieffer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:10 -0400)

Jim, the first mate aboard the Patna, dreams youthful dreams of heroism and of the daring act that will prove his courage. But when the Patna collides with a mysterious obstacle, Jim panics and jumps free. This act of cowardice drives him to exile as a white trader in the remote tropical outpost of Patusan.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441615, 0141199059

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,013,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible