Lord Jim (Everyman's Library) by Joseph…

Lord Jim (Everyman's Library) (original 1900; edition 1992)

by Joseph Conrad

Member:Calantir
Title:Lord Jim (Everyman's Library)
Authors:Joseph Conrad
Info:Everyman's Library (1992), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Literature & Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:Modernism, Sea Stories

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad (1900)

English (52)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (59)
Difficult to follow. I'm currently reading an early edition, which may have a lot to do with the difficulty. ( )
  RussellBittner | Dec 12, 2014 |
LORD JIM is a novel focused on the imperial zeitgeist of the age. The age is the years between 1876 to the beginning of world war one. Europe was beaming in its nationalism, imperialism, and as well as aliances between nation states. Europe could be seen as a cage where the main event in the WWE would be held, in this corner Germany and the Hapsburgs vs. London and France. We see explorers controlling new lands and new people. We find adventures awaiting.
So what if you don't care about the imperial age? Are you a Star Trek or Battle Star Galactica fan? One then can imagine the ocean as deep space, and the natives as aliens. I found it easier to concentrate on the plot when I imagined Jim as captain Kirk. I could understand the imperialistic superiority over native cultures, if I thought of the natives as aliens or droids.
Conrad poses profound questions: Can a man run away from his past ruins? Or do they hunt him down till the present moment catches up with him? Is the earth big enough to hold the caper?"
I loved the narration by Stewart Lewis on Libri Vox. He does a great job with a tricky book. I could understand Conrad's humor by Stewart Lewis's reading of the novel.
The book overall was imperially commanding.

Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
The book overall was imperially commanding.

Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
Nice edition with copious notes and a decent introduction. The book moves along nicely in the beginning and the end, but becomes quite dense and slow in the middle. Tuan Jim finds his path to glory after a stumble in his youth, and snatches redemption in the end by facing up at last to his fatal flaw. Marlow narrates and provides the contrasting viewpoint of an older, more jaded, observer, who can still recall his own young, romantic ideals. ( )
  kishields | Sep 30, 2014 |
Conrad pits a flawed man against the primitive where he reigns in honor, while those of his kind hold him out as a coward. He tries to redeem himself and loses his life a better man. Always a good read and a gifted writer. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |

Joseph Conradprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Monsarrat, NicholasIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mursia, UgoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prinzhofer, RenatoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siciliano, EnzoForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, LyndIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watts, CedricEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"It is certain my Conviction gains infinitely, the moment another soul will believe in it."

-Novalis
To Mr. and Mrs. G. F. W. Hope
With Gratefull Affection
After Many Years
Of Friendship
He was an inch, perhaps two, under six feet, powerfully built, and he advanced straight at you with a slight stoop of the shoulders, head forward, and a fixed from-under stare which made you think of a charging bull. His voice was deep, loud, and his manner displayed a kind of dogged self-assertion which had nothing aggressive in it. It seemed a necessity, and it was directed apparently as much at himself as at anybody else. He was spotlessly neat, apparelled in immaculate white from shoes to hat, and in the various Eastern ports where he got his living as ship-chandler’s water-clerk he was very popular.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140180923, Paperback)

When Lord Jim first appeared in 1900, many took Joseph Conrad to task for couching an entire novel in the form of an extended conversation--a ripping good yarn, if you like. (One critic in The Academy complained that the narrator "was telling that after-dinner story to his companions for eleven solid hours.") Conrad defended his method, insisting that people really do talk for that long, and listen as well. In fact his chatty masterwork requires no defense--it offers up not only linguistic pleasures but a timeless exploration of morality.

The eponymous Jim is a young, good-looking, genial, and naive water-clerk on the Patna, a cargo ship plying Asian waters. He is, we are told, "the kind of fellow you would, on the strength of his looks, leave in charge of the deck." He also harbors romantic fantasies of adventure and heroism--which are promptly scuttled one night when the ship collides with an obstacle and begins to sink. Acting on impulse, Jim jumps overboard and lands in a lifeboat, which happens to be bearing the unscrupulous captain and his cohorts away from the disaster. The Patna, however, manages to stay afloat. The foundering vessel is towed into port--and since the officers have strategically vanished, Jim is left to stand trial for abandoning the ship and its 800 passengers.

Stripped of his seaman's license, convinced of his own cowardice, Jim sets out on a tragic and transcendent search for redemption. This may sound like the bleakest of narratives. But Lord Jim is also touching, elevating, and often funny. Here, for example, the narrator describes the ship's captain (proving that clothes do indeed make the man):

He made me think of a trained baby elephant walking on hind-legs. He was extravagantly gorgeous too--got up in a soiled sleeping suit, bright green and deep orange vertical stripes, with a pair of ragged straw slippers on his bare feet, and somebody's cast-off pith hat, very dirty and two sizes too small for him, tied up with a manilla rope-yarn on the top of his big head. You understand a man like that hasn't a ghost of a chance when it comes to borrowing clothes.
This is formidable prose by any standard. But when you consider that Conrad was working in his third language, the sublime after-dinner story that is Lord Jim seems even more astonishing an accomplishment. --Teri Kieffer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:05 -0400)

Jim, the first mate aboard the Patna, dreams youthful dreams of heroism and of the daring act that will prove his courage. But when the Patna collides with a mysterious obstacle, Jim panics and jumps free. This act of cowardice drives him to exile as a white trader in the remote tropical outpost of Patusan.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441615, 0141199059

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible