Until Friday Night (Field Party) by Abbi…

Until Friday Night (Field Party)

by Abbi Glines

161974,103 (3.53)1

I know some people have hated this, but I loved it. I was able to relate to West since I have been through having a sick parent and losing my father. His fears of even going to school in case his father died was exactly how I felt when my dad was in his last few weeks. I never wanted to leave the house in fear of what would happen if I left. So many things he felt were exactly how I was feeling and I definitely broke down in tears several times during this story.

I am taking off .25stars due to West becoming possessive and controlling. This was not needed. His dealing with grief could have been done any other way. I do like how they talk about how he is acting is not ok, and they work through it though.

Overall, I loved this and listened to the audiobook in one sitting. I will definitely be continuing with the series. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Sep 3, 2017 |
OK, first to establish a baseline I'm a pretty easy to please sort of reader. In fact I often get super eye-rollingly annoyed at popular reviewers who like negative reviews like 95% of the time. That's not book loving it's once in a full blue moon of September on an even numbered year book liking. That being said... THIS BOOK WAS HORRIBLE!! It's not often that I voluntarily DNF a book. Do I have a great many books that might are currently on reading hiatus part way through? Yes. Books I set aside with NO intention of ever re-opening? Rarely. I honestly am at a complete and total loss as to how thousands of people gave this book a 4-star rating. Oh, Until Friday Night how do I cringe at thee let me count the ways.

1.The melodramatically cheesy style of the author's writing is mind grating. She somehow actually makes a story based around murdered and cancer-ridden parent's of teenagers feel shallow as hell.

2. Girl sees Dad kill Mom. Girl testifies against father but then stops speaking all together to anyone for two entire years because she just can't bear the sound of her voice or some crap. This might sound like a cold assessment but don't you worry it's not like this girl stops speaking due to serious mental health complications resulting from her traumatic experience. It's not even communicating with others that is her problem she literally just won't speak (by choice) but if you are willing to bend to her irrational whims she will right her thoughts out long hand, paragraphs at a time which you can then invest more time reading.

3. No speaking for years is cray . Except for this chick, she's not mentally unsound. No sir, inside her mind everything is working a-ok, better than ok. In fact she and the book's "hero" (term loosely used) are the two most self-aware teenagers on the planet. They are have complete psychological understanding of not just their own thoughts and behaviors (not that they use this awareness to actually behave properly.) They also have complete and total insight into each other's minds. I mean like supernatural psychic levels of insight. Which would be fine accept this book is suppose to be realistic fiction and the characters are intended to be neither psychic or supernatural in any way.

3.the main character is a selfish bitch but we are suppose to ignore that because her inner dialogue always justifies her bad behavior with "good intentions." As we all know justifications and excuses are all that matters in real life so ignore Maggie's (the girl) actual actions and just accept that she is this gorgeous but innately kind and good, damaged angel who is just so so strong. An angel who refuses to speak to anyone for 2 fucking years. This includes her very kind loving extended family who take her in feed her, shelter her, pay for her phone, and 100% coddle her and do everything they can to love and protect her. But then.... enter complete and total dickhead (who just happens to be a super popular star football player) and poof she's up and talking to him within a matter of days. Not for superficial reasons of course but because he loves his mama (yeah, in Ms. Gline's world unlike the real world guys can't love there mother's and still be an asshole. Maggie straight up declares this as fact multiple times in the book.) Also, she can just see the the hurt and anguish in his eyes and just knows that he's acting out. So anyway she's now up and talking but only to West (the fake hero) and she's deceptive about it to because she still doesn't want to bother with having to speak to those pesky relatives of her. Who cares if they are constantly worried as shit over her. Oh yeah she's also treats this other decent guy who clearly likes her and was kind to her in spite of her voluntary muteness and when no one else bothered trying to be her friend but we're suppose to accept that as a kind thing because she was just obeying her cousins wishes to do what he orders. (Cousin is nice and loving in an overbearing controlling sort of way. Most of the people in this books locale are not good for each others emotional well being.)

4. West - this dude is a total d-bag. He's just an asshole. Sure he loves his mom and dad but most people do even when their parents suck. it so happens that West's parents are super good, super loving, all around good parents. So the fact that he loves his parents simply shows that he's not a total sociopath which is hardly cause for applause and adoration. Also his Dad is dying of cancer which of course is sad but isn't doesn't excuse his behavior especially since we are given every indication that his behavior pre-dated his father's illness and not that he is acting out as a result. What all I know about are main character by the time I finally gave up any hope for this story. a.his lifelong best friend clearly states that his newly arrived mute cousin is off limits to his man-slut jock friends. So what is literally the very first think he does upon being within arms reach of Miss Maggie? He kisses her as an act of anger and without any indication that she wants him to. That's totally fine because she liked it so we can ignore the fact that he used sexual activity, however mild, in anger specifically because he thought it would upset her. Oh have I mentioned that this kissing also went down while he had a girlfriend but again that's ok because he always treats her like shit and he doesn't actually care about her, he just likes how she looks naked. Also we can accept his assholeness toward the girl he's been dating for a year (that's significantly long when you're only 17) because she doesn't love him. I mean she says she loves him but she's lying because he just knows and obviously being the psychic that he is he can just determine what is truly going through another persons mind.

Then I just couldn't take anymore of this book. It was just so much badness. Over wrought with freaking badness. That's all folks.

Jess signing ( )
  Jessica.Leigh | May 18, 2017 |
I found the heart worming story of the girl Maggie and how she was surviving and trying to overcome the death of her mother that her father had killed to be very realistic with emotions I could personly feel. That Maggie had to move to her aunt and uncles home and her cousins protection but not friendship her loneliness was real. And then her friendship that becomes her only outlet by West who has a secret, his father is ill. And all that The two West and Maggie go threw in there teens that most adults would struggle within adulthood. This is an amazing story ( )
  JenniferMyers | Aug 5, 2016 |
2015 Rating System: 5
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
*Many thanks to the publisher, Simon & Schuster for providing me with a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

It’s going to be pretty hard describing what I liked about the book, because the problem is, I basically liked 99.9% of the book. Ever since I read the synopsis on the book’s release date, I knew I had to have it. Let me just say that this book did not disappoint. In fact, I enjoyed this book so much I didn’t even make notes while reading. So now I’m writing this review fresh of off my memory… Anyway. Let’s get started.

Once I started this book, I couldn’t put it down. It had such a raw feel to it that it just completely compelled me. There are so many factors that contributed to this, which I’ll be delving into below:

Firstly, the characters. I don’t usually get emotionally attached to characters except for a few special cases, so imagine my surprise when I actually grinned at what the characters said and cried with them, too! This is coming from a person who didn’t cry while reading TFIOS, by the way. West’s interactions with his mother & father really touched me, and most of the time left me with tears running down my face. And when Maggie opens up to West – it was just so heart wrenching! Even though they were side characters, the other characters were really well-developed and easy to relate to. I felt like I knew them well. I love how Abbi was able to make us be in the story; that just shows how skilled she is. I’ll definitely be reading more from her in the future.

Secondly, the storyline was so sweet, moving, and full of emotion that it almost blew me away. The way that everything weaves together could be so cute at times, but tragic at other times. I think that’s what made it such a wonderful story – the blend of cutesy high school romance with an undertone of tragedy. The balance was maintained very well, therefore contributing to the story’s flow really nicely.

Thirdly, the writing. It really lent the story the perfect vibe. I know it wasn’t this dramatical prose full of flowery words, but I still enjoyed it very much. It had a conversational feel to it, yet it was still articulate. Books with this writing style are some of my favorite ones, to be honest. Also, the descriptions were totally flawless. They connected the story really well and conveyed its surroundings in an exceptional manner.

Now that I’ve talked about what I liked most about the book, let’s discuss that 0.1% part that irritated me. It was West Ashby’s possessiveness. He was so possessive of Maggie from Day 1, even when he claimed to want nothing to do with her. I find possessiveness & clinginess to be such an off putting quality in protagonists. I know the circumstances in this book are different and Maggie later confronted West about it, but the problem still remained. Yeah, he was conscious of it now but it was still kind of there toward the end. Also, Maggie broke up with West for like, ONE DAY. Frankly, it was just unhealthy.

So, all in all, this is definitely what I’d call a page turner of a book. If you haven’t read Abbi Glines before, then you should definitely start with this YA book. It has an easy-to-follow writing style, emotional storyline, and dimensional characters! I’d recommend this book to lovers of easily readable YA stories. ( )
  fatimareadsbooks | Nov 1, 2015 |

In the small town of Lawton, Alabama, star high school quarterback West Ashby meets new girl Maggie Carlton, both battling feelings of grief and sorrow.

Abbi Glines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,609,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible