Kid gloves: a voyage round my father by Adam…

Kid gloves: a voyage round my father (2015)

by Adam Mars-Jones

Absolutely brilliant memoir. Prose style is gorgeous. Great insight into character. ( )
  PhilipKinsella | Aug 20, 2017 |
These memories have no structure at all, they just meander from one subject to another and do require more background knowledge of British culture than I can come up with. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
I needed to be determined about this book and I am glad that I persisted. There are no chapters - it is just a stream of thoughts about Adam Mars-Jones and his relationship with his father. In the end I thought it was more autobiographical and more about the son than father.

Some parts were hard going for example his description of Sir William Mars-Jones' taste in popular music and I confess to skimming at this point.

The New Zealand connection was interesting.
  louis69 | Nov 14, 2015 |
For Ebn, Chloe, Holly and Ella

When his widowed father - once a high court judge and always a formidable figure - drifted into vagueness if not dementia, the writer Adam Mars-Jones took responsibility for his care. Intimately trapped in the London flat where the family had always lived, the two men entered an oblique new stage in their relationship.

In the aftermath of an unlooked-for intimacy, Mars-Jones has written a book devoted to particular emotions and events. Kid Gloves is a highly entertaining book about (among other things) families, the legal profession, and the vexed question of Welsh identity. It is necessarily also a book about the writer himself - and the implausible, long-delayed moment, some years before, when he told his sexually conservative father about his own orientation, taking the homophobic bull by the horns. The supporting cast includes Ian Fleming, the Moors Murderers, Jacqueline Bisset and Gilbert O'Sullivan, the singer-songwriter whose trademark look kept long shorts from their rightful place on the fashion pages for so many years. [www.Amazon.co.uk]

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,080,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible