Took: A Ghost Story by Mary Downing Hahn

Took: A Ghost Story

by Mary Downing Hahn

Great story! i would label it more of a suspenseful piece over a horror story. Although, the Auntie is certainly a terrifying character. What set this book apart from other suspense and hour stories were the characters. Daniel reminded me of typically boy who does not want to hang out with his baby sister, Erica. He can be mean at times, but he really does love his sister. When Erica is missing, he feels guilty for reacting to her like a typical brother would. Daniel and Erica's parents were very human in the story. Often parents can be flat characters, but their portrayal really makes the books honest. I would recommend this for middle school students; it may be a little too scary for younger grades. ( )
  VClarke | Jul 8, 2017 |
After reading this- I do believe in spooks! I do believe in spooks! I do! ( )
  kimpiddington | Jan 15, 2017 |
I discovered at Thanksgiving that my granddaughter Haylee and I share a love of books written by Mary Downing Hahn. She expressed a desire to read Took. She said she’d been trying to get a copy from her school library, but it was always checked out. I made sure she got one for Christmas. She and her brother Jacob spent the Wednesday through Friday with us. We took them to the library yesterday. While she sat and read books to her brother, I borrowed her book and read it. Mary Downing Hahn’s books have that special creep factor that make all of her books good. You have a family moving into an old and creepy house. The children don’t like it. The kids at school don’t like them, and the parents are beginning to fight more and more. The author sets you up for a great scare. As you read and see how brave Daniel is, you are thinking to yourself, ‘I wouldn’t be brave enough to do that’. One thing that makes this book so good is it has an urban legend. Every area has their own urban legends. This legend is based on an actual disappearance that had happened fifty years before. Now it is happening again. Is their truly a witch in the woods?
I will definitely need to get another copy for my classroom shelves. ( )
  skstiles612 | Dec 30, 2016 |
There is nothing like a good ghost story to keep a person up at night. Whether it is the creepy tales told on Halloween nights in the U.S.A. or the Yamishiba ghost stories of Japan that are told in the summer time to keep people cool. A good ghost story can make a night of stormy weather seem magical. This book is written about a local legend that tells a story of an old hag who steals little girls every fifty years. With every disappearance there is a mysterious reappearance of an unknown child that slowly withers and dies within a month. No one knows who this ghostly woman is that haunts the forests of West Virginia and no one wants to find out. It is not until Daniel and his sister Erica move into a rundown old farm, near the edges of the woods, that a whispering of “old auntie” reemerges. Town folks begin to squabble about the olden days and children taunt both Daniel and Erica until the unthinkable happens. For Daniel soon learns that there is a ghost in West Virginia and it is a deadly ghost woman that wants something that he holds dear.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I found it to be well written and to be rather unique. I have read a ton of ghost stories and I have to say that the author put a lot of thought into this story. I honestly believe that any age can enjoy this book. It was a very fast moving story and the characters were well thought of. I plan on giving this book to my daughter and I am positive she will enjoy it as much as I did. I don’t count it as a traditional ghost story. It is a little different than that, but that is really nice. It seems like the typical ghost story is just a rehash of what is already out there, so I really enjoyed this one. I want to say thank you to the author and Goodreads for sending me this book in a giveaway. It was very much appreciated and I had a great time! Thanks a bunch. ( )
  Jennifer35k | Apr 13, 2016 |
For those kids who love the chills and thrills of a scary story, "Took" will take them there. Plenty of suspense, cliffhanger chapters, and it plays on the dark fears of every child: the menance of the unseen, being taken away from loved ones, the consequences of getting caught in serious trouble. But every child also wants to be a hero, and Daniel provides that vicarious thrill, of being the only one with the strength and courage to save Erica.

Booktalk: Daniel and his little sister Erica used to have a really good life. They went to private school, lived in a nice area, and their parents owned two cars and went golfing. Then the recession hit. Their dad lost his job, the money was gone and they had to sell their big house. The family ended up moving: to a rundown old farmhouse deep in the woods near a small town in WV. Daniel and Erica hate it there. The house is always cold and leaking and the woods are scary at night. The kids at school don't like them, they think Daniel and Erica are snobs, and that their family must be crazy to live in that old farmhouse. Because everyone in that small town knows the story about a little girl who was taken from that house 50 years ago. And everyone knows the girl was taken by old Auntie and her pet hog Bloody Bones who live in the forest. And everyone knows that no one has seen the little girl since. But nobody yet knows that old Auntie and Bloody Bones have their eyes...on Erica. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 7, 2016 |
The old woman stands on the hilltop, just on the edge of the woods, well hidden from the farmhouse below.

“Folks say Old Auntie takes a girl and keeps her fifty years—then lets her go and takes another one.”

Thirteen-year-old Daniel Anderson doesn’t believe Brody Mason’s crazy stories about the ghost witch who lives up on Brewster’s Hill with Bloody Bones, her man-eating razorback hog. He figures Brody’s probably just trying to scare him since he’s the new kid . . . a “stuck-up snot” from Connecticut. But Daniel’s seven-year-old sister Erica has become more and more withdrawn, talking to her lookalike doll. When she disappears into the woods one day, he knows something is terribly wrong. Did the witch strike? Has Erica been “took”?

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 12 Jul 2015 13:19:02 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,139,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible