Return to Sender: A Dyna-Tyme Genetics Time…

Return to Sender: A Dyna-Tyme Genetics Time Travel Novel (Dyna-Tyme…

by Fred H. Holmes

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Return to Sender is not just your ordinary time travel novel. Combining time travel with the issue of modifying DNA is what sets this book apart from the rest. The idea is that in everyone's DNA there is some sort of GPS marker and time stamp that can be changed just like you can go backwards and forwards when you watch a DVD. The result is that people can be sent back in time to very specific places with just a simple DNA-changing injection. Dyna-Time Genetics is the company that invented the procedure and their CEO is now willing to use it for what he deems to be a good cause. Namely, he wants to send protagonist Carleton Venable VI back in time in order to change the outcome of the American Civil War. The goal is to have the south win the war in order to change American history for the better. Carleton Venable VI, while reluctant at first, agrees to this mission as he sees a chance to make some changes for his personal life.

As with every time travel novel, Return to Sender explores the issue of having multiple timelines and the effect that changing history has on the present. To my mind, the issue of enabling time travel by modifying DNA is quite a nice touch, but does not really contribute much to the overall reading experience. In the end, this novel could easily do without this additional component and work out just the same. Topic-wise I liked the Civil War idea a lot. The way the story unfolds and how it is at various points connected to the personal situation of the characters in the book made for a unique reading experience. To my mind, this is why Return to Sender is actually a very readable book. As it is to be the first one in a series, it will be worth reading the sequel. 4 stars. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Jan 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Return to Sender has a novel twist to the time travel methodology by tweaking DNA. Quite a clever approach to the problem and some ingenuous solutions to ponder. The main plot is a well worn one however, with going back and changing a key moment in history and then finding that the consequences outweigh the benefits. There are a couple of fatal flaws in Mr. Holmes story, the most glaring one being how the antagonist is going to be aware of the change in history and thus reward the hero for "fixing" things for the better. Another is glossing over the random killing of some characters in the past and assuming that action would have no noticeable effect on current time.
I would have liked to have Mr. Holmes editor keep him a bit more on track too with eliminating side stories that had no effect on the main storyline. Introducing gangsters and a revengeful woman intent on changing the outcome of Pearl Harbor really didn't help the plot at all.
That said, there are some entertaining ideas to consider and the historical complications are well thought out, I would have just like to have seen more of that type of book. ( )
  ORTeacher | Nov 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Receive this in e-book format from the publisher and Library Thing for an honest review. I normally find time travel books too convoluted to follow easily. Granted, time travel can get very involved with all the hypothetical possibilities of changing the future, but this held to a simple series of changes to decisions and actions in the Civil War in an attempt to change its outcome and thus the history of the United States. Sound simple enough so far? Well, on the first trip back in time using a Dyna-Timer Genetics invention Carleton Venable VI gets caught up in an ancient family squabble that threatens his intended mission to alter the course of the war. I won't spoil the plot any more, but our hero makes repeated trips back in time with varying degrees of success. I thought the fact that the time traveler had a personal (family) connection to Civil War events added a twist that kept me flipping the pages. I heartily recommend this book and look forward to the next one in the Dyna-Time Genetics series. ( )
  mfvetter | Oct 26, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed the story which i got into after a few pages. A good first showing at alternate history. I think i might have like to see more change but on the whole an entertaining story. ( )
  Darrylozzybead | Oct 21, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The owner of Dyna-Tyme Genetics wants to change the outcome of the Civil War. His company has found a way to travel through time by manipulating a person’s DNA. Venable, the man chosen to change history, soon finds himself dealing with more than he anticipated. While not the most sophisticated entry into the time-travelling genre, it’s an entertaining enough book. The characters could be more developed and the dialogue needs some editing. Overall, I’d recommend it for someone who’s looking for an entry into the genre. ( )
  gofergrl84 | Oct 9, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Fred H. Holmes's book Return to Sender: A Time Travel Novel was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Kamel Press

An edition of this book was published by Kamel Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible