Becoming Darkness by Lindsay Francis…

Becoming Darkness

by Lindsay Francis Brambles

I would like to thank Capstone & NetGalley for granting me a copy of this e-ARC to read in exchange for an honest review. Though I received this e-book for free that in no way impacts my review.

Goodreads Teaser:
"Like everyone else living in Haven, seventeen-year-old Sophie Harkness is an Immune--a carrier of the genetic mutation that protects her from the virus Hitler unleashed upon the world more than half a century ago. A virus that wiped out most of humanity and turned two-hundred million people into vamps. But after her best friend is brutally murdered and several attempts are made on her own life, Sophie becomes determined to find answers to what seems to be a conspiracy running generations deep. And when she questions the peace treaty that keeps her small community protected, Sophie begins to discover terrible truths about herself and what it means to be human in a world ruled by darkness.

Lindsay Brambles' debut young adult novel is a story of an alternate universe: Hitler won the war, our modern technologies never evolved, and the Nazis' terrifying reign still continues. This fast-paced novel will appeal to readers who guzzle up genre mashups and are looking for a fresh hybrid to sweep them away."

A unique, and creative, new entry into the science fiction/fantasy genre, Becoming Darkness offers up some truly intriguing ideas. Sophie, Camille, and Val are the central characters, and as such each supports a different point of view of the world, and life, that they live in. Sophie is a blend of naïve idealism, Camille is from an entitled world and yet still strives for more, and Val stands with one foot in the past and one in the present.

Sophie and Val lead dual lives, for an Immune to love a Vamp is unheard of, just as the idea that a vampire could love an Immune is equally insane - to all but Sophie and Val. Yet as Sophie grows up she slowly learns that there are far more secrets in her own life than her love for Val. Like most young people Sophie must find things out for herself rather than listen to those who've lived longer and gained the experience that comes with time. Sophie's quest for answers will lead her to places she's never, ever even imagined; taking her down paths she will come to wish she'd never set foot on.

On the whole I found the characters to be interesting, though I'd have preferred to have more depth for some. They certainly are the vehicle that propel this story forward at a fairly decent pace, weaving the character growth and story arc into a relatively strong fabric. The main weakness for me was the amount of time spent lingering on Sophie's emotional malaise in the earlier portions of the tale, as well as the strength of the blinders she seemed determined to wear for as long as absolutely possible.

The concepts used to set forth some very challenging dilemmas were both unique and intriguing, just as are the issues faced by not only the characters but the readers as well. For Ms. Brambles' created a fiction that is only partially fictitious, as many choices faced by Sophie, et al. are similar to those faced by real people on a daily basis. For me this finished on a strong note, the last quarter being my favorite section of the book. I felt that the author really hit her stride by the end of this tale, and look forward to seeing how she does with her next book. Hopefully, like Sophie, she'll take the lessons learned and apply them to her next creation. ( )
  Isisunit | Sep 26, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,980,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible