Home Fires Burning (Walking in the Rain Book…

Home Fires Burning (Walking in the Rain Book 2)

by William Allen

Truthfully I started this series because when you buy the Kindle version you can purchase the audio for a small fee. This allows me to listen to audio books fairly cheaply and I can save my audible credits for books I deem a must have that are not discounted in any way. I will only continue to follow this series if I can't find something that grabs my interest more.

I do not enjoy series that are written as a ploy to get you to keep buying. Every book in a series should be enjoyed as a complete story that upon concluding makes the reader pant for more. This series is not written that way. To me it feels like this is a chapter in a book. I am really not invested in the characters and do not really care what happens to them. ( )
  bostonterrio | Nov 21, 2017 |
This is the second of three books (so far) that follows Luke and Amy as they travel to Texas to hopefully join Luke's family. An earlier EMP event (or something to that effect, they are not sure) has happened, and society is a mess. People are starving and beginning to flood out of the cities and into the suburbs and rural areas. Travel is dangerous and Luke and Amy encounter and kill many individuals.

I have to say that I am writing this after reading all three of the books, so I can't remember the details of what occurred in what book at this point.

While the first book was about Luke and Amy's travel and a few groups they met up with and helped, the subsequent books connect more to what the military is or is not doing. There are National Guard factions, other military, and in general no direction coming from the top. Luke manages to get taken in by some of these, together with Amy and some girls they had rescued, and they are accepted as a sort of civilian advisor/guard support. As in the first book, I thought Luke's extreme valor and clear-mindedness was a bit far fetched, but he is likeable and treats Amy well as their relationship grows.

This book needs to be followed by the third one, of course, to find out if they make it to Texas where Luke's family is hopefully waiting . . . . ( )
  lynetterl | Jul 10, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,239,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible