Stand Down: A J.P. Beaumont Novella by J. A.…

Stand Down: A J.P. Beaumont Novella

by J. A. Jance

I found this short novella a perfect read since I haven't read any books in this series, but I have the book in the latest book in the series; Dance of the Bones waiting to be read. And, since Dance of the Bones is book 22 felt it good to start off with a novella where I could get to know the characters, some background and also see how I would like the writing style. And, I can say that I found this story quite good.

For one thing, I liked that even though I haven't read anything about J.P. Beaumont (Beau) before did I feel that this novella gave me enough information about him, about his wife and some people around him. It also explained how it is that he is retired by explaining the terrible accident that led to the Special Homicide Investigation Team that he was leading was disbanded. His wife Mel has a new job, chief of police in Bellingham, Washington and he is trying to adjust to the changes in their lives and Mel hasn't it easy either since there are tensions at her workplace.

Then one day when Beau shows up to the construction site and finds Mel's car there, but she is missing. Has someone kidnapped her and if so why?

I think this novella was very well done, but the thing is that the "case", with Mel missing felt like a very little part of this story. I enjoyed reading about Beau and Mel, their new life, past events and their future plans, but the kidnapping case felt a bit like thrown into this story to make it a bit more suspenseful, but I felt that it could have been more interesting if it has been given more space in a book instead of a novella. It was over so quick that it never really got thrilling to read. And, that's unfortunate because the idea was good and I liked the novella.

One thing for sure I do look forward to reading Dance of the Bones after reading this novella and I'm also looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series.

I received this copy from Witness Impulse through Edelweiss in return for an honest review! Thank you! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Nov 19, 2017 |
Good transition for Beau into retirement? ( )
  jamespurcell | Oct 4, 2017 |

| Feb 9, 2016 | edit |

Life has shifted for J.P. Beaumont. After a tragic accident that devastated and ultimately disbanded his Special Homicide Investigation Team, he accepts that he has left homicide detection behind at this point, but he has a lot of unanticipated free time on his hands. He's keeping busy with renovations on the new house that he and his wife, Mel Soames, the newly appointed chief of police in Bellingham, Washington, have bought. But new fixtures and paint palettes can occupy only so much of Beau's daily life, and Mel is encouraging him to return to where he is needed: investigating crimes. In the meantime, she is struggling to gain control of her new situation, cast into a department where some are welcoming?and some are not. It's been a few months, and the tension in the police department is rising, but Beau realizes Mel has to tackle things in her own way, so he refrains from advising. But when Beau shows up one afternoon to survey the construction at their new house and finds Mel's car there but no sign of her, his investigative instincts kick in. Suddenly he's back in the game. Except this time, his heart is on the line as well as his professional dignity."--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible