Sea Glass Sunrise by Donna Kauffman

Fun start to the new series. Hannah is on her way home for her brother Logan's wedding (Pelican Point). Her family doesn't know that she's coming home to stay after a relationship gone wrong that also wrecked her career, and she hopes to keep it that way until after the wedding. The last thing she expects is to be involved in a car accident and rescued by a hot visitor to the town, putting her "no men" resolution at risk.

Calder Blue is a contractor who has been offered the job of building the new yacht club. He has come to Blueberry Cove to scope out the job, but also to see if he can end a long-standing family feud. Getting involved with a local woman is not on his list of things to do.

The book starts with a bang and doesn't really let up. Hannah is driving through town, thinking about the mess her life is in when she nearly hits another vehicle. Though she misses it, she ends up crashing into a sign hard enough that her airbag deploys, dazing her. I loved this first encounter between Hannah and Calder, as each makes assumptions about the other. I enjoyed their banter as each tries to deal with the situation in their own way. There are also some definite sparks between them which they try to ignore. Over the next twenty-four hours, they run into each other several times, each time in increasingly amusing situations.

Hannah and Calder are both terrific. The disaster back in DC has dented Hannah's confidence in herself, but being back home gives her the chance to rediscover who she really is. I loved seeing her reconnect with her family members and friends and soak up the atmosphere that nourishes her soul. She is intelligent with an awesome sense of humor that really comes out when she's with Calder. Calder is laid back, confident, and charming. He's been burned once and wary of getting involved again. His sense of humor is right up there with Hannah's, and some of their conversations are downright hilarious.

I loved the development of their relationship. The sparks between them are intense each time they encounter each other. I loved how quickly they connected and how easy it was for them to confide in each other. I liked the way that Calder's interest in her helped Hannah get past her treatment by her ex. I also loved how Calder was able to tell Hannah about his suspicions over the yacht club project and her willingness to help him figure out what was going on. The attraction continued to build, and the kisses became even more incendiary. But it wasn't just the physical connection that was growing. Both Calder and Hannah found themselves thinking of each other as far more, and it freaked them each out a little bit. Neither was sure that they could trust something that was moving that fast. However, they hit a bit of a road bump when the yacht club issue escalates, then Calder's father is taken ill, sending him back to his hometown. There's a period of self-doubt that made me want to reach into the book and shake them. Hannah comes to her senses first, and I loved her big moment as she takes a chance on the future she wants. Calder's vulnerabilities show also, but he comes through like a champ.

The underlying mystery of the book was good. One of the residents, Winstock, has plans to build a fancy yacht club and most of the town doesn't want it. The man has been pretty ruthless in his methods of getting it done. Calder is suspicious of why the man wants him as the contractor, especially considering the family feud going on with another of the waterfront owners. Concerns mount when Winstock keeps delaying his meetings with Calder, then an explosion on the docks throws suspicion on Calder. The mood is lightened a little bit as Hannah gets involved in defending Calder to her brother, the police chief. Calder's and Hannah's investigations raise more questions than answers until one piece of information suddenly makes all clear. But it may not be soon enough, as a situation arises that puts a little girl's life at risk. Calder reaches hero status with his actions in a tense confrontation. The revelation of the culprit was a bit of a surprise, as it was not who I thought it was.

I loved the closeness of the McCrae family. Hannah, Fiona, and Kerry each have their own distinct personalities, but their love for each other and Logan is obvious. I loved the stories that they told about each other. I also loved how they had each other's backs at all times. Fiona's appearance at Hannah's accident was heartwarming and hilarious. The events leading up to the wedding, instigated and planned by Fiona were a riot to see. I loved Hannah's protectiveness in keeping her problems to herself until after the wedding so that she didn't ruin the happiness of it. Fiona sometimes seems manic in her actions, until it comes out that she's going through some issues of her own. Kerry just seems wild most of the time, but I have the feeling that she's hiding some issues of her own. I am looking forward to reading their stories. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Aug 9, 2017 |
Innocuous contemporary romance set in the standard super-charming small New England town with the standard cast of super-charming siblings whose devotion to each other will in no way mirror your own putting-the-fun-in-dysfunctional family.

It's nice, don't get wrong. If you're looking for something more sweet than sexy, this is the way to go. ( )
  SoschaF | Sep 29, 2016 |
Awesome book! I love the books in this Blueberry Cove series and this is a great addition. Hannah McCrae is returning to Blueberry Cove after a huge scandal in DC has uprooted her well planned life. Calder Blue is in the Cove to find out why he is being offered a construction job even after he purposely overbid the job. When the two meet during a small traffic mishap there is an intense attraction but neither is looking for any kind of relationship. These two seem to keep running into each other in some hilarious situations. Throw in an age old family feud and some crazy town folk and you have one great story. I highly recommend this one. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour for a fair and honest review and rated it 4 out of 5 Stars.

A light hearted contemporary romance, Sea Glass Sunrise by Donna Kauffman is the first book in the Brides of Blueberry Cove series, a spin-off from her Bachelors of Blueberry Cove series. Set in a small fictional town in Maine, Ms. Kauffman’s story is filled with colorful characters, family drama, a sizzling romance and a touch of comedy. While tied to another series, this is a book which can be read on its own.

Returning to Blueberry Cove for her only brother’s wedding, Hanna McCrae plans to start her life over. Humiliated both personally and professionally by a romance which was a huge mistake, Hannah left her once promising career as an attorney in D.C. to return to the small town she once called home and is filled with people who love her. Only her first day back doesn’t exactly work out as planned, traffic accident caused by a new stop sign she wasn’t aware of, and soon she’s can’t remember why she wrote off hot men.

Calder Blue has travelled to Blueberry Cove to conduct some business and settle a two hundred year old family feud. Becoming involved in a traffic accident with a pretty lady was not a part of his plans, though he’s definitely attracted to the woman. Will his temporary stay in Blueberry Cove turn into something permanent?

Ms. Kauffman does a good job developing the characters of both Hannah and Calder, though I have to admit that I wasn’t a huge fan of Hannah at first (let’s just say she was foolish when it came to her previous romance). While both Hannah and Calder have romance issues from the past, they couldn’t help being attracted to each other from the start. It helped that they each found the other extremely attractive. I enjoyed watching their romance develop from what could have been a tragic incident and it helped that both characters had a good sense of humor and were decent people overall.

The secondary characters were also well developed and I really enjoyed getting to know the people in Blueberry Cove. I especially liked Hannah’s family, her brother Logan, Alex McFarland, his fiancée/bride, and Hannah’ younger sister Fiona, who is a real hoot and has a wicked fashion sense. I also enjoyed getting to know Calder’s estranged family and Barbara Benson, one of the town’s police officers, who also happened to be the McCrae family’s substitute mom.

Will Hannah and Calder give their blistering attraction a chance to develop into something more than a temporary romance? Will Calder be able to get his family to move on from their 200 year old feud? And will the town of Blueberry Cove be the home they are both looking for? You’ll have to read Sea Glass Sunrise to find out. I enjoyed it and can’t wait to read Snowflake Bay, the second book in the series featuring Fiona, which will be published in September. ( )
  MariaD. | May 27, 2015 |
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: Five
Review:

"Sea Glass Sunrise" by Donna Kauffman

What I liked about this novel....

I really enjoy reading to first series of 'The Brides of Blueberry Cove.' The two main characters were very interesting to read about being of career decisions and family issues. Hannah McCrae was home
in Blueberry Cove, Maine for her brother's wedding, after her job and personal life in DC had gone up in smoke. It was on her way home Hannah gets involved in a car accident after running a four way stop sign...their she meets Calder Blue who stopped to help her and this lovely story begins. Calder was in town to see about a job on the town's waterfront and also trying to resolve a decade of feuding between two separate factions of his family...'The Blue's.' I loved how this author was able to get Hannah and Calder together that will involve them in land issues involving semi dangerous residents and much more as they are drawn together in this very interesting story. And in saying that I will say I enjoyed how this relationship developed between Hannah and Calder. The chemistry was off the chart..hot and steamy! Let's not leave out those secondary characters especially Hannah's sisters that will put a smile on your face being well developed, portrayed, and believable helping to give the reader a story that will keep your interest in this two plot story that even has some mystery in it. Be ready for a good read about a old family feud with some crazy and some humours town people and you have it all..."Sea Glass Sunrise." ( )
  arlenadean | May 22, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142013745X, Mass Market Paperback)

“Charming characters, emotion galore, a small town—you’re going to love Donna Kauffman!” —Lori Foster

In seaside Blueberry Cove, Maine, friends are just another word for family, and big-city politics take a backseat to local pride. But the real treasure on these shores is always love…

When D.C. lawyer Hannah McCrae heads home for her brother’s wedding, she’s dragging a lot of baggage along with her—and she doesn’t mean suitcases. Betrayed personally, and humiliated professionally, the last thing she wants is a new man. That’s fine with square-jawed, rugged contractor Calder Blue. He and Hannah may be wildly attracted to one another, but all he wants is to build the town’s hotly contested new yacht club and mend a centuries-old family feud. Yet thanks to resentments old and new, day after day the pair wind up tangled in each other’s business—and maybe soon in each other’s arms.

Every bride needs something “blue”…

Includes a delicious wedding cake recipe!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 19:09:18 -0400)

When D.C. lawyer Hannah McCrae heads home for a wedding, she is dragging a lot of baggage along with her--and she does not mean suitcases. Betrayed personally, and humiliated professionally, the last thing she wants is a new man. That is fine with contractor Calder Blue. He and Hannah may be wildly attracted to one another, but all he wants is to build the hotly contested new yacht club and mend a family feud.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible