Modern Romance: An Investigation by Aziz…

Modern Romance: An Investigation

by Aziz Ansari

Other authors: Eric Klinenberg (Author)

English (56)  Piratical (1)  All (57)
4.5 stars
I really enjoyed this read.
I enjoyed the humor, got some insights, and appreciated why he did this project. ( )
  BefuddledPanda | Dec 4, 2017 |
I read this book and watched series Master of None simultaneously. Many stories in the TV show were apparently based on real life experience of the author, which made it more enjoyable for me. I also appreciated that social experiments, surveys and data analysis mentioned in the book were conducted by sociologists and psychologists. ( )
  castor135 | Nov 29, 2017 |
When someone asks me what book surprised me by being so good, I always say Modern Romance. I picked up this book because of my love for Aziz and was astounded by the incredibly researched novel that he put together, made even more interesting by his humor splattered throughout. ( )
  spoteste | Nov 1, 2017 |
For those of you who aren’t familiar with Aziz Ansari, he is an actor (perhaps best known from Parks & Recreation) and a stand-up comedian, but this isn’t a typical book by a comic. The book was inspired in part by a segment of his stand-up routine and is filled with humor throughout, but it’s actually a carefully researched book that examines the state of romantic relationships in our modern, tech-savvy world. Ansari teamed up with NYU sociologist Eric KIinenberg to conduct focus groups throughout the US as well as Paris, Tokyo, and Buenos Aires. They also collected data through a Reddit survey. The result is a well-informed, thoughtful exploration of the state of romance and the new complexities that technology has added to an already complex equation. I appreciated the intelligence, humor, and big-heartedness brought to the topic and Ansari’s plea for all to remember the humanity of the people utilizing technology to pursue relationships and act accordingly. I listened to the audiobook, which is available through OverDrive and narrated by the author. I enjoyed the audiobook immensely and recommend it, but (as Ansari points out) there is a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to the graphs and charts that are in the print version, though you can always check out the print copy for the visuals.

Rachel H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I read this book thinking it would just be a funny view of modern romantic encounters a la Aziz Ansari standup routine but no - there was a lot more to think about. Thank you for writing something that resonates with a generation- I want to listen to the audiobook now just to hear you do the voices because my picturing it isn't the same as hearing you do it! ( )
  ilerya82 | Sep 19, 2017 |

Aziz Ansariprimary authorall editionscalculated
Klinenberg, EricAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oh, shit! Thanks for buying my book. That money is MINE. But I worked really hard on this, and I think you'll enjoy it. (Introduction)
Many of the frustrations experience by today's singles seem like problems unique to our time and technological setting: not hearing back on a text.

The acclaimed comedian teams up with a New York University sociologist to explore the nature of modern relationships, evaluating how technology is shaping contemporary relationships and considering the differences between courtships of the past and present.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,619,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible