Hollow Man by Mark Pryor

Hollow Man

by Mark Pryor

Protagonist, Dominic is an assistant district attorney in Austin TX and a part-time musician. The book doesn't mention last names, and the girl at the center (with the lime green dress) has no ame at all - something to ponder. Dominic unfolds the details of his boyhood in England while relating details of a theft and double murder in which he, 2 friends and his roommate are involved. He cleverly has planned the crime so there is no actual evidence of his own participation, and it looks as though he is being framed for it. Cleverly plotted and well writte. Stand alone from the author of The Bookseller series. ( )
  lmnopqr | Jul 10, 2017 |
I picked up the debut novel by Mark Pryor a year ago, based on the title The Bookseller, and was instantly hooked with his protagonist Hugo Marston. Obviously, I’m not the only person enjoying his series as there is already a fifth book in publication. So I was a little hesitant when I was handed a standalone book titled Hollow Man, even with the Lee Child blurb on the front cover, I was worried it wouldn’t live up to my expectations. Rather it pushed the bar higher on the talent-o-meter of this author.

From the start we are immersed in Dominic’s world; a British native practicing law in Texas with a passion for songwriting. It doesn’t take long for the author to pull at one little thread, and slowly Dominic’s world begins to unravel. He experiences a demotion at work, cut in pay, accusations of stealing someone’s song, all of which leads to disillusionment with doing what is right. Hearing from his closest friend about a ‘fool-proof’ heist, who can blame him for reflecting on it as a solution to his current troubles?

Involving his roommate, an unhappy security officer at the end of his tarnished career, and a mysterious woman that has recently entered his life, a meticulously planned operation is devised. As in life, the unexpected occurs and suddenly Dominic is immersed in a cat and mouse chase as the carefully planned heist turns into a deadly shootout with plenty of unexpected consequences.

With solid characters, and a slight hint of Jeff Lindsay’s Dexter reflecting off of Dominic, this isn’t for anyone expecting a cozy or Disney ending. Rather I found the subject and main character just flawed enough to grab hold of my interest and never let it go.

The author stepped outside of the box on this novel and it is well worth investing a few hours of your time into. Now I’m off to purchase the rest of his series. ( )
  souleswanderer | Oct 22, 2015 |
I loved this author's book, The Bookseller, but this book was just too dry. Dominic, the main character is a very dark man, a sociopath, but instead of writing this character as sinister, or slightly humorous, the author just walks you through the story and the crime. The writing is fine but the book was boring. ( )
  zmagic69 | Sep 30, 2015 |
Dominic is a British prosecutor living and playing music in Austin, Texas, when he gets the news that his parents have died. Dom isn't sad. He doesn't "do" emotions like love, compassion, or fear. But he does feel anger and disappointment when, on the same day, he gets demoted at work and banned from playing his favorite gig. And he feels lust when he makes eye contact with the pale girl in the lime-green dress who proposes a crazy scheme that could solve his financial problems. Author Mark Pryor creates a narrator who is unreliable partly because he's a psychopath who doesn't think and feel the way we expect. But he has a brilliant mind for planning and manipulation and uses it to entertaining effect as he plans the perfect crime. As often happens, the plan goes sideways, sending Dom and his companions into an avalanche of unexpected consequences.

Some readers will have a difficult time connecting with Dom. Other readers will guess at parts of the ending from clues left along the way but will still likely enjoy the plot's twists and turns. ( )
  bookappeal | Aug 25, 2015 |
"Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men..."
"The Hollow Men by T. S. Eliot
To my brother, Richard.
I will always be grateful for your belief in me
and your support all these years.
I love you very much.
And, sooner rather than later,
I shall see you on the slopes...
My parents' lawyer called with the news as I climbed out of my car, our conversation a hesitant hopscotch of words until we caught up to the slight delay that comes with international calls.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible