Center of Gravity by Laura McNeill

Center of Gravity

by Laura McNeill

This review is gonna be really short. The reason? Basically because there is nothing much for me to say except this...."Read this book!"
If you are a fan of Gone Girl like I am, you will definitely LOVE Center of Gravity by Laura McNeill. I stayed up until I read the last page knowing that I had to get up for work in a few hours! And, I think I held my breath through chapter 60 until the end of the book! THIS is the kind of book a reader like me searches for. So read it...today. ( )
  kitchenwitch04 | Oct 24, 2016 |
The book is not your typical feel good , perfect life kind of book. What it is though, is a story of a husband and wife and their unraveling marriage. It starts out with Ava , Mitchell, Sam and Jack. They seem to be a normal family with a nice house. The husband works hard and the wife who utterly adores her family. But lurking, deep in the dark hole of Mitchell, the husband , is a man who craves control. He is eerily chilling in his diabolical ways and explosive in his need to have the upper hand . As the story begins to explore their life, we find Mitchell start to become this meanicing , scary person who thrives on power.

The story is told from several characters perspectives . It was a great way to envision what each person perceived as the author wrote the story through their eyes. As I began to get further into the story, I felt a sense of tension and chills run through my body. The book has many layers to it, but as you peel away the layers sheer terror abounds. Mitchell is a devious , unstable person who seems to believe that no woman can be trusted. Out of nowhere one day, he decides to take the children , leave Ava and file for divorce.

As Ava starts to fight for custody of her sons, Mitchell begins his plan of complete destruction of Ava . The author gives us chilling glimpses into an evil, heartless man who will do anything to keep his kids. It's like a cat and mouse game, where only the strong survive. It's a thriller at the top of its game, with graphic almost unthinkable acts of terror aimed at those who get in Mitchell's way.

There are a couple of really great words spoken by characters in the book. . The first was from Dr.Bennett , who is trying to determine who is best suited to have the children. As she is talking to Ava she says, " Everyone has a center of gravity. Every family too. It's the tangible things that make us feel grounded and whole. "
All of us want a stable life, to feel secure and not to have to walk on egg shells around your spouse. We want the hero to come in and save the day. As Jack say, " Some heroes are made, not born. They don't wear costumes or special amulets. They are mothers , men, kids, and regular people. They might get bruised , broken , or beaten down. But they don't give up."
I received a copy of this book from Chicklit Plus for an honest review ( )
  Harley0326 | Sep 27, 2015 |
At the beginning of the novel, Ava and Malcolm have a perfect marriage. She is a stay at home mom with 2 kids - 8 year old Jack (from Malcom's first marriage who she has just adopted) and baby Sam. Her husband was a widower when she first met him and he was her dream man. He is a successful college executive and treats her like gold. She loves her life, her children and her husband. And then the cracks start to appear. Malcolm becomes very controlling and manipulative and is often angry with the children. Ava explains to Jack and truly believes that it's due to his pressure at work. She thinks that her marriage can be saved until the day that Malcolm moves out and gets custody of the two children. He doesn't really want them but he knows what will hurt her the most is the loss of the children.
The novel is about her quest to get her children back against overwhelming odds.

I absolutely loved this book. It's told in alternating chapters by Ava, Malcolm, Jack and Ava's attorney. That sounds like it might be confusing to have so many voices telling the story but what the reader gets is a well told story from different angles that create a total view of what's going on. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a story that you can't put down until the end - and even after that, the characters stay in your mind. ( )
  susan0316 | Sep 20, 2015 |
I think this book read itself, I was turning the pages so quickly. Every Mother's fear and every women's nightmare is encompassed here. I don't think I ever wanted for a bad guy to get his, nor have hated a character more than Mitchell. Told in alternating chapters by Ava, Mitchell, Jack, the children's court appointed moderator and Ava'a lawyer, we hear all sides of this chilling story.

I loved the character of Laura, the way she took care of her children, the games she played and how she wanted them to feel happy and secure. But the real star of the book, the one who won my heart was eight year old Jack. A young boy who has seen and heard more than any child his age should. He loves super heroes and using them he works on his problems, plays with his one year old brother Sam and uses them both to boost his courage and take out his aggression to the things he feels he is unable to change. Absolutely wonderful.

I think the absolute scariest thing about this novel is that it all could ne true. It could happen to any of is and I am sure it has. ( )
  Beamis12 | Sep 9, 2015 |
I am not usually drawn to suspense/thriller type books but this one just drew me in and wouldn't let me go. The story starts out with Ava believing she has an an idyllic life of domestic bliss but soon the cracks begin to show and as they widen, it all starts to spiral out of control.

The narrative is told from the perspective of five of the characters. You would think this might be hard to follow but it isn't. The story flows very well and as each perspective is shared, the suspense builds and continues to build until ...
well, you'll just have to read it to see what happens.

Center of Gravity is by far one of the best books I have read this year ~

I give it 5 stars!

I received a free copy of this book from Booklook Bloggers in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mrsrenee | Sep 2, 2015 |

The truth could cost her everything.

Her whole life, Ava Carson has been sure of one thing: she doesn’t measure up to her mother’s expectations. So when Mitchell Carson sweeps into her life with his adorable son, the ready-made family seems like a dream come true. In the blink of an eye, she’s married, has a new baby, and life is wonderful.

Or is it?

When her picture-perfect marriage begins unraveling at the seams, Ava convinces herself she can fix it. It’s temporary. It’s the stress. It’s Mitchell’s tragic history of loss.

If only Ava could believe her own excuses.

Mitchell is no longer the charming, thoughtful man she married. He grows more controlling by the day, revealing a violent jealous streak. His behavior is recklessly erratic, and the unanswered questions about his past now hint at something far more sinister than Ava can stomach. Before she can fit the pieces together, Mitchell files for divorce and demands full custody of their boys.

Fueled by fierce love for her children and aided by Graham Thomas, a new attorney in town, Ava takes matters into her own hands, digging deep into the past. But will finding the truth be enough to beat Mitchell at his own game?

Center of Gravity weaves a chilling tale, revealing the unfailing and dangerous truth that things—and people—are not always what they seem.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 07 Jul 2015 14:19:27 -0400)

The truth could cost her everything. Her whole life, Ava Carson has been sure of one thing: she doesn't measure up to her mother's expectations. When Mitchell Carson sweeps into her life with his adorable son, the ready-made family seems like a dream come true. In the blink of an eye, she's married, has a new baby, and life is wonderful. Or is it?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,596,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible