That Chesapeake Summer (The Chesapeake…

That Chesapeake Summer (The Chesapeake Diaries) (edition 2015)

by Mariah Stewart (Author)

Member:CalicoCat
Title:That Chesapeake Summer (The Chesapeake Diaries)
Authors:Mariah Stewart (Author)
Info:Pocket Books (2015), 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read 2016
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Series, Romance, Kindle book

That Chesapeake Summer by Mariah Stewart

Good story about a woman's search for who she is, and how she finds love along the way. Jamie is a successful author of a series of books about honesty in relationships. After her mother's unexpected death, Jamie discovers a letter that turns her world upside down. Hurt, angry, and confused, she sets off on a journey to find the answers she needs. Her quest leads her to the small town of St. Dennis on the Chesapeake Bay and a stay at the Inn at Sinclair's Point.

The Inn is run by Daniel Sinclair, who took it on after the death of his father. Besides being completely immersed in the running of the Inn, Daniel is also the single father of two teenagers. His plate is full to overflowing, with little time for anything else. Having his mother, Grace, living with them has made life somewhat easier.

I enjoyed the development of the relationship between Jamie and Dan. It started out pretty rough, with Dan in a harried mood just as Jamie arrived. He's late for a meeting, but Grace insists that he be the one to show Jamie to her room. There are a few rather snarky comments exchanged, with Jamie believing Dan is a rude bellhop and something about Jamie getting under Dan's skin. It doesn't get any better later on when Dan accuses Jamie of butting in between him and his daughter. I have to say that Dan came across as quite a jerk during the early part of the book. Fortunately, he sees the error of his ways. I liked the apology scene, where he does a pretty decent job of making amends. It soon becomes clear that underneath the antagonism were also some sparks of attraction. I loved seeing them grow closer, but there were also some issues that could keep them apart. Jamie is trying to come to grips with her new reality, and the realization that truth isn't always as black and white as she had believed. She hasn't shared her reason for being in St. Dennis with anyone, and that secretiveness could come back to bite her. Dan is still dealing with the grief, guilt, and anger of his wife's death. He has some trust issues because of it, and he senses that Jamie is hiding something. It was fun to see them spend time together and watch as Jamie weaned Dan away from his workaholic habits. I loved his support when Jamie finally revealed why she was there, and his understanding when she needed time to process it all. It was also sweet to see that he wasn't able to stay away very long. I loved how he helped her work through her fears of pursuing what she had learned. I ached a little bit for Dan, who feared that he would lose her once she'd done all she needed to do. The ending was sweet and romantic.

The biggest part of the story was Jamie's search for the truth. Her shock at the initial discovery was realistic, as was her confusion over whether she should do anything about it. I liked that she didn't just rush off to confront the letter writer, but took the time to consider her options. Once she did make up her mind, she didn't waste any time. It was interesting to see Grace's diary entries that gave her the heads-up that something important was in the works. The connection between Grace and Jamie was terrific. I liked Grace's way of helping Jamie find the truth, and also her little pushes to get Jamie and Dan together. I also loved how easily Jamie fit into life in St. Dennis. The buildup to the revelation of the truth was believable, as was Jamie's reaction when she found out. I was on the edge of my seat as she worked through her fears, wondering if she would get the outcome she wanted. That resolution was emotional and heartwarming. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Nov 11, 2018 |
good
  helynavery | Jan 27, 2016 |
Yet another fabulous addition to the Chesapeake Diaries series. It was great fun to finally get Dan's story. He's always been around but we've never really gotten to know him. The very stoic but successful innkeeper who doesn't quite know how to let go has his world turned upside down when Jamie Valentine comes to St. Dennis. Jamie has her secrets though and while the residents of St. Dennis quickly take to her, she keeps herself sheltered away until Dan finally breaks through her defenses.

A great story with a quick pace and wonderful characters. While we don't see as many of our favorites in this book, you still get the same wonderful feeling of community in this one. I definitely recommend this book for everyone's reading list! ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
The main character, Jamie, was fabricated with little real emotions. I just keep thinking there should have been deeper moments having lost her mother. The fact that she was adopted consumed her, understandably, but far outweighed her loss. Also the man she meets is a real "a-hole", yet within a few days she is thinking feverishly about him and never really addressed all of his disrespectful behavior. He suddenly becomes Mr. Right....a bit unbelievable. A bit of fun though, keeps you guessing who her real mother is. I suppose it is meant for a fun read, nothing to make you want to move to St. Dennis. ( )
  tippygirl | Aug 11, 2015 |
That Chesapeake Summer by Mariah Stewart is a 2015 Pocket Books Publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and as an XOXpert- The official street team for XOXO After Dark.- (and a big thanks to Edelweiss for the digital version)- in exchange for an honest review.

This book is just the right kind of book to take along for a day at the beach. This is light reading, but there is such a sweet spirit about the book which gives it substance and depth.

Jamie is the author of a wildly successful string of self help books based on the importance of truth. But, when she discovers her own life has been a lie, she sets off on a journey to discover her true heritage, which leads her down roads she never would have traveled and to a place she can really call home.

Dan is a widowed single parent, running an Inn at St. Claire's Point, a job he inherited after his father passed away. Living at the inn with him is his mother, Grace, who is recovering from an accident that has left her wheelchair bound for the time being.

When Jamie arrives at the inn, there is an immediate spark between Dan and Jamie, and Grace knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that this new guest is going to become someone special to all of them. But, Jamie has serious issues to contend with and Dan is still trying to come to terms with the circumstances of his wife's death eight years ago, and the responsibilities of running the inn and raising two children alone. However, the chemistry between them is quite strong and the two seem magically drawn to one another. Will they be able to resolve their issues before Jamie has to leave Chesapeake?

The underlying theme in this story is truth and lies. Why do people lie? Keep secrets? What does the truth really consist of and why is it so important? Jamie will have to learn a new way of dealing with truth now that she finds her life was built on the lie of omission and everything she thought to be true was indeed false. But, she learns that it's not all black and white and sometimes the truth is complicated and are there are many variants to the truth as well.

Jamie's character is strong and lively, she brings the little Inn to life when she arrives, giving Dan food for thought about his obsession with running his business, the way he approaches parenthood, and finally allows him to face all the guilt and anger he feels about the way his wife died. He will learn to let go of the painful past and fight for what he wants... which is Jamie. Jamie is just what Dan needs to add some spice to his stagnant workaholic life. I enjoyed watching him open up and relax with Jamie and I liked seeing the effect she had on him and his family, and the effect he had on her too.

But, of course the most poignant part of the story is the real reason Jamie is in St. Dennis and the truth she seeks from one special resident there. With the help of Grace, who nearly steals the show with her special gift of having “the eye”, Jamie will have the courage to seek the answers she needs so she can begin an new chapter in her life. You might want to keep some tissues handy once you reach the last couple of chapters.

The long buried secrets that come to light are not at all the bad thing some think it will be, and much good comes from finally releasing those secrets and letting the truth set them free. So, while people do have selfish reasons for keeping secrets or for telling lies, sometimes people have good reasons to keep things to themselves too, but the burden can be just as great.

So, there are some deeper thoughts to ponder upon while reading this book, but for the most part this is just a delightful story of second chances and finding peace and love in the most unexpected ways.
This was an enjoyable read and I do recommend it to those who enjoy light women's fiction especially, but also to anyone looking for a great summertime read. 4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jun 16, 2015 |

"Jamie Valentine is the wildly successful author of self-help books advocating transparency in every relationship. But when her widowed mother passes away unexpectedly, Jamie discovers her own life has been based on a lie. Angry and deeply betrayed, she sets out to find the truthwhich may be in a small town on the Chesapeake Bay"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,340,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible