Living without worry by Timothy Lane

Living without worry

by Timothy Lane

301367,255 (5)None

Living Without Worry by Timothy Lane is a 140-page book published by the Good Book Company, a young up-and-coming book publisher who focuses on providing short, pithy materials for the young people of today. You should see my copy of the book! Its pages are so relevant and applicable that I have sentences underlined everywhere, brackets and braces, arrows, stars and notes in the margins and spaces. This one is destined to be one of my favorite go-to books that I will return to repeatedly.

Timothy Lane gives his readers practical suggestions "how to replace anxiety with peace" within the eleven chapters of this book. With chapter titles such as "Why Not Worry?", "Worry and Your Past (Parts 1 and 2)", "How to Begin to Change", and "How to Cast All Your Anxieties on Him", it is easy to return to favorite sections you find most useful. Each chapter ends with "Questions for Reflection" where the author asks probing questions that can help you personalize your journey to conquer your anxieties. Best of all, you can immediately put the steps to practical use without wading through hundreds of pages of theoretical discussions (not that there isn't a place for that elsewhere) about worry. The information conveyed is clear, easy to understand, and easily applicable.

What I especially appreciate about the author's writing is that in the brief opening chapters, he has convinced me that it is truly possible to set my worries aside. This is such an important part of writing a book on a topic like this. I get the impression that many of today's young adults believe their emotions are uncontrollable, inevitable, and unpreventable. Many have no idea that emotions such as worry are often a result of unfiltered and poorly controlled thoughts. The biblical concept of taking our thoughts in hand is one of the first the author deals with in this book. His bold, practical, Christ-centered approach is completely doable; the way he presents his reasons is approachable and convincing.

The second aspect I like about this book is the author's candid and personable writing style. In an empathetic voice, he lets his readers know he is right down in the trench with us, slugging away at the temptation to give in to his worries and anxieties. He shares his successes with us. Not only does he commiserate with his readers, he has counseling experience which he draws upon for his guidelines. He has seen what works and gives us the benefit of others' victories. The book not only teaches, but encourages. It's not theory, but practical.

One final point impressed me greatly. Mr. Lane points out that worry has a positive side to it. It's like the flashing red lights on a vehicle's dashboard. You can ignore the warnings and face the consequences (isn't that why they are called "idiot lights"?) or heed the warnings and benefit. It's your choice. If you want to understand the warning signs of worry, then read the book. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary review copy of this book from Cross Focused Reviews (A Service of Cross Focused Media, LLC)on behalf of the Good Book Company. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Beverlylynnt | Apr 20, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,022,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible