The Best of Nancy Kress by Nancy Kress

The Best of Nancy Kress

by Nancy Kress

Other authors: Thomas Canty (Cover artist)

351321,274 (4)None

Short stories are not my favorite genre but this were shockingly satisfying. At least 2 of them contain cruelty against dogs, which I was surprised to discover really upsets me ("Dancing on Air" less so, "Laws of Survival" more graphic and upsettingly).

"And Wild for to Hold" is a charming piece of historical fiction meeting science fiction. I found all the other characters beyond Anne Boleyn flat, but liked the concept.

"The Flowers of Aulit Prison" has a fascinating conception of alien lifeforms and world building.

"Unto the Daughters" is an interesting piece of feminist science fiction.

"Shiva in Shadow" has some of the strongest character writing.

The most heavy-handed and my least favorite, are "Casey's Empire," "Grant us this Day," "By Fools Like Me,"

The strongest I think is "Beggars in Spain" and I understand why it is last, but after reading so many of her short stories, you get a sense of writing style and can see the twists and turns coming which detracts from the experience. I would recommend reading it first. ( )
  endlesserror | Oct 27, 2016 |

Nancy Kressprimary authorall editionscalculated
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"Nancy Kress, winner of multiple awards for her science fiction and fantasy, ranges through space and time in this stunning collection. Anne Boleyn is snatched from her time stream--with unexpected consequences for two worlds. A far-future spaceship brings religion to a planet that already harbors shocking natives. People genetically engineered to never need to sleep clash with those who do. A scientific expedition to the center of the galaxy discovers more than anyone bargained for. A woman finds that ''people like us'' does not mean what she thinks it does. Praised for both her hard SF and her complex characters, Nancy Kress brings a unique viewpoint to twenty-one stories, the best of a long and varied career that has won her five Nebulas, two Hugos, a Sturgeon, and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,549,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible