The Sparrow Sisters: A Novel by Ellen…

The Sparrow Sisters: A Novel

by Ellen Herrick

Another entry in the magical realism genre made popular by Sarah Addison Allen and Alice Hoffman. This one had a dark subplot that competed with the whimsical nature of the rest of the book. That part left me conflicted because my sympathies weren't with the main characters and I didn't agree with the resolution. But at least the ending had a very nice segue into the next in the series, The Forbidden Garden, that didn't leave the events of this book feeling unresolved. ( )
  wandaly | Feb 25, 2017 |
This started off strong, and as others have noted, had the feeling of an Alice Hoffman or Sarah Addison Allen novel. For me, the magic didn't sustain, though. I read through because I was a fair ways into the novel, and wanted to see how the author dug out from the oppressive sadness created. She did, but the enchantment for me had faded. Still it was a decent enough read, and an interesting twist on a certain type of magic in life. There were hints at the end of a sequel. ( )
  bookczuk | Jul 6, 2016 |
three sisters magical/alternative remedies in a small town, one relationship with a doctor, under suspicion, RA: Alice Hoffman Sarah Addison Allen
  wnra | May 7, 2016 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I LOVED this story! This is one of the best books that I have read in a while. I have not read a story that elicited so many emotions in a very long time. The characters captured my heart, as well as the story. The characters were so real to life, and their dialogue was so believable that I could just picture these characters so easily. I am eagerly awaiting the next Sparrow Sisters novel. There were a few grammatical errors, but in no way did they hinder the flow of this story. If it weren't for these errors, this would have easily been a five star review. Since LibraryThing doesn't allow half stars, I had to give this book four stars, but my rating is actually four and a half stars for this incredible tale. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  feeroberts64 | Apr 28, 2016 |
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & MoreReview
I really, really, really enjoyed this book. I loved the whimsical writing, and the way you get lost in the town of Granite Point. I also loved the magical element, even though the book focuses on the characters.

The Sparrow Sisters are so close, and I love that they have such a strong sibling relationship. Even when they are irritated with each other, they stand beside each other through everything. Nettie is quiet and definitely not flashy. She stays in the background and offers up her support and ideas when they are needed. Sorrel is a bit surly at times, but she's the mother figure. She gets things done, and makes sure her sisters are doing okay. And Patience is, well there isn't just one word to describe Patience. She doesn't get involved with the town gossip, but she's magnificent. She has the ability to tell when people need something in their lives, and helps with her remedies to make them better.

The other characters are very well written, and each has some sort of connection to the Sparrow family. Henry isn't exactly fond of Patience helping the town with her remedies. As a doctor he believes the citizens should go to him. He struggles with trying to understand what she's capable of as he wants to get closer to her. They are both more alike than either wants to voice. Ben has longed for a certain sister for as long as he can remember, but has always been scared to make the first move. He does show his unending support when one of them falls under the scrutiny of the town. And Simon, well he had feelings for one of them when they were younger, and still holds love for her now.

I think this book showed how an entire town can go into chaos when something bad happens. They want to place blame, and sometimes the easiest to blame are those that, even though they have helped them, are a bit odd. I love how the women of Granite Point band together to help the Sparrow Sisters, and the support of those close to them. I got lost in this small town, and the images were unfolded as I turned the pages.

This is definitely a must read, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |

With echoes of the alchemy of Practical Magic, the lushness of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt, and the darkly joyful wickedness of the Witches of East End, Ellen Herrick’s debut novel spins an enchanting love story about a place where magic whispers just beneath the surface and almost anything is possible, if you aren’t afraid to listen.

The Sparrow Sisters are as tightly woven into the seaside New England town of Granite Point as the wild sweet peas that climb the stone walls along the harbor. Sorrel, Nettie and Patience are as colorful as the beach plums on the dunes and as mysterious as the fog that rolls into town at dusk.

Patience is the town healer and when a new doctor settles into Granite Point he brings with him a mystery so compelling that Patience is drawn to love him, even as she struggles to mend him. But when Patience Sparrow’s herbs and tinctures are believed to be implicated in a local tragedy, Granite Point is consumed by a long-buried fear—and its three hundred year old history resurfaces as a modern day witch-hunt threatens. The plants and flowers, fruit trees and high hedges begin to wither and die, and the entire town begins to fail; fishermen return to the harbor empty-handed, and blight descends on the old elms that line the lanes.

It seems as if Patience and her town are lost until the women of Granite Point band together to save the Sparrow. As they gather, drawing strength from each other, will they be able to turn the tide and return life to Granite Point?

The Sparrow Sisters is a beautiful, haunting, and thoroughly mesmerizing novel that will capture your imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:00:35 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ellen Herrick's book The Sparrow Sisters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,980,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible