Pond by Claire-Louise Bennett
220952,892 (3.33)9
    Vertigo by Joanna Walsh (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Female narrators getting the heart of the strangeness of living,

An interesting take on a journal this slim book has interconnecting stories as told by a woman living in a small town in Ireland. I’m one of the reviewers who found the stories flat. The concept was interesting but the stories failed to hold my attention. ( )
  brangwinn | Apr 23, 2017 |
Liked this a lot. Despite being short stories it reads very much like a novel - they're all interconnected, following the same unnamed central character. Going to have to think about it quite a bit as there's a lot to digest. There's something weird going on in the background of it all that I can't quite place. I suspect that might just be my genre-head finding things that aren't there though. Either way, recommended. ( )
  deeronthecurve | Jan 19, 2017 |
The fact of a nameless, description-less main character in Pond by Claire-Louise Bennett implies that there is deeper meaning to be found in the book. The focus on mundane, minute details implies that a symbolic meaning exists beneath the surface. The use of complex words implies that there are things to be learned here. Unfortunately for me, that meaning remains unfound even by the end of the book.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2016/06/pond.html

Reviewed for the Penguin First to Read program ( )
  njmom3 | Jun 22, 2016 |
I cannot warm to stream of consciousness writing. This woman's solitary murmurings are intimate and sometimes funny, but not my cup of tea. It almost reminds me of eavesdropping on someone who is not all there. I thank the author and the Penguin First to Read program for a complimentary copy. ( )
  musichick52 | Jun 21, 2016 |
First of all, it seemed to us that you were very handsome.

"Longlisted for the 2016 International Dylan Thomas Prize "What Bennett aims at is nothing short of a re-enchantment of the world... This is a truly stunning debut, beautifully written and profoundly witty." -The Guardian Immediately upon its publication in Ireland, Claire-Louise Bennett's debut began to attract attention well beyond the expectations of the tiny Irish press that published it. A deceptively slender volume, it captures with utterly mesmerizing virtuosity the interior reality of its unnamed protagonist, a young woman living a singular and mostly solitary existence on the outskirts of a small coastal village. Sidestepping the usual conventions of narrative, it focuses on the details of her daily experience--from the best way to eat porridge or bananas to an encounter with cows--rendered sometimes in story-length, story-like stretches of narrative, sometimes in fragments no longer than a page, but always suffused with the hypersaturated, almost synesthetic intensity of the physical world that we remember from childhood. The effect is of character refracted and ventriloquized by environment, catching as it bounces her longings, frustrations, and disappointments--the ending of an affair, or the ambivalent beginning with a new lover. As the narrator's persona emerges in all its eccentricity, sometimes painfully and often hilariously, we cannot help but see mirrored there our own fraught desires and limitations, and our own fugitive desire, despite everything, to be known. Shimmering and unusual, Pond demands to be devoured in a single sitting that will linger long after the last page"-- "A tour de force fiction debut, darkly humorous and utterly original, in which the habits and observations of a solitary young woman illuminate her inner life with uncanny, irresistible intimacy"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,551,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible