The wicked the divine. Vol. 2, Fandemonium…

The wicked the divine. Vol. 2, Fandemonium (edition 2015)

by Kieron Gillen, Jamie Mckelvie (Artist.), Chrissy Williams (Editor.)

Member:stevepugh
Title:The wicked the divine. Vol. 2, Fandemonium
Authors:Kieron Gillen
Other authors:Jamie Mckelvie (Artist.), Chrissy Williams (Editor.)
Info:Berkeley, CA : Image Comics Inc., [2015]

The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 2: Fandemonium by Kieron Gillen

And it goes slightly off the rails. ( )
  amazedemon | Oct 15, 2016 |
Description: The second volume of the award-winning urban fantasy series where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. Following the tragic and unjust death of Lucifer, it takes a revelation from Inanna to draw Laura back into the worlds of Gods and Superstardom to try and discover the truth behind a conspiracy to subvert divinity. Includes issues #6-11 of the series.

Thoughts: Well, that was a quick bubble burst. This one is no where near as good as the first one. The story line pretty much continues in a satisfying way but there is something really weird going on with the writing and structure. This volume feels rather disjointed and spastic. I had a hard time figuring out what was going on in several scenes or even really following the action at all. When I was reading it I was pretty disappointed. Looking back after finishing it, I see the story line clearer and still think it's successful in that regard but that didn't really make it good enough.

And I guess I'm doomed to be robbed of my favorite characters at the end of each volume! I can't believe Gillen let us believe Laura WASN'T pantheon and then reveled that she was Persephone (not Lucifer as we thought) JUST TO KILL HER! Not cool.

Rating: 3.5
Liked: 3
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 3.5
Writing: 3
Art: 5
  leahbird | Jul 10, 2016 |
I SO did not see that ending coming.

I don't understand some of what's happening in the story, but I'm okay with watching it play out. It's written and drawn so beautifully, I'm completely fine with going along for the ride. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Summary: In the world of The Wicked and the Divine, every 90 years ago, twelve gods return into the bodies of young people. They live for two years, idolized and feared by the public, and then at the end of that time, they die.

In Volume 2, Laura is still reeling from the events of Volume 1, trying to figure out who's behind them, and learning how to deal with the celebrity her proximity to those events has thrust upon her. The rest of the Pantheon is slowly being revealed to the world, with Laura still secretly hoping that one of the twelve will wind up being her... even if that revelation would cut her life expectancy down to just a few years. Meanwhile, there's a dangerous rumor going around, about the Prometheus gambit - where if you kill a god, you get to become a god. And if there's a thread of truth to the rumor, it could be catastrophic for everyone.

Review: It's a very complicated world that Gillen's building, but he's doing so at a very nice pace - some things are a little confusing, especially initially, but we get backstory and explanations not only at a good rate, but also in places that feel organic to the story (no infodumping!). There's also plenty of things left hinted at but unexplained; plenty of room left to dig deeper into this world, which I really appreciate, and makes me want to keep reading.

The second volume does more of this explanation than the first, which makes sense - the first is there to hook your audience, then the second to reel them in. We get more info about the process of becoming a god - in the first volume, I'd largely assumed that the gods appear out of nowhere at the beginning of the Recurrance, not that they take over an until-then normal mortal life. I suspect we'll get more of the gods' backstories, and how they relate to their reincarnated selves, and how the whole process works, as we move further along in the series, but thus far, we've gotten enough to be satisfying while still leaving me curious to find out more. And the cliffhanger at the end of Volume 2 is one of the biggest I think I've ever encountered, so I'm dying to get to volume 3. (And kudos to Gillen for having the guts to flip his whole story 180˚ from where I think everyone was expecting it to go!)

The art is lovely throughout; lots of color and movement and supernatural effects that could look super-cheesy but don't. Lots of cool paneling decisions, and the characters are drawn realistically and very detailed but still quite clean. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: If you like mythology - any kind of mythology, or all kinds of mythology - this is the series for you. If you've grown up on Rick Riordan books (or are a grown up who likes Rick Riordan books), then this book has a similar vibe of the world of the gods impinging on regular life. (But definitely grown-ups only; it's not Saga but there's definitely sex and drugs and violence and rock-and-roll and swearing.)
  fyrefly98 | Mar 8, 2016 |
The beginning was a little slow, but then it ended with a bang. And I was like, "whaaaaaaaa?!" And then I was like, "but...?" And now I'm just gonna need to read volume one again and then read this one again and then not so patiently wait for volume three. Because...oh.em.gee. What the eff. ( )
  melissarochelle | Feb 8, 2016 |

Kieron Gillenprimary authorall editionscalculated
McKelvie, JamieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
McKelvie, JamieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,337,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible