Awake by Natasha Preston

Scarlett doesn't remember anything before the age of four, which she doesn't find too unsettling, until, as a teen, a car accident jars her memory and makes her start wondering what happened to her as a kid. Around the same time as her accident, Scarlett meets Noah, a new kid to town, and falls for him immediately. Noah tries to help Scarlett remember her past, but does he have her best intentions at heart?

Not really sure how to explain this book. The story itself is odd - another quick teenage romance, with a cult thrown in! However, it is oddly compelling in its own strange way - I read the book in about a day or so. The writing is rather silly and disjointed at times and the plot seems unbelievable. It's not even the cult aspect, per se. It seems weird that Scarlett focuses so much on not being able to remember things before the age of four (is that really so strange)? The end of the book ties up awfully easily, without much semblance or adherence to legal niceties. All in all, while the book moves quickly, not sure it's worth that little amount of time.

(Note: I received an copy of this book from Netgalley in return for an unbiased review.) ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 9, 2016 |
I was able to read this by receiving an ARC from NetGalley.

Awake was really exciting! I finished the last half this morning because I couldn't put it down without knowing what was going to happen in the end. ( )
  MelanieTid | Jan 18, 2016 |
Im actually pulling a DNF after 18%. Those that know me know I rarely DNF unless the story hasnt grabbed me, especially by 15%-20% and some part of the story has frustrated me to the extent of hurling books. Instalove doesnt work. A girl ditching friends because of instalove doesnt work. Dialogue did not feel natural. Even the relationship with her best friend felt off...I wouldnt treat my BFF this way.

At some point I hoped to find the characters relatable or interesting or worth exploring. I didnt happen. I didn't even care to figure out the mystery. Unfortunately, this is no bueno but the cover was quite lovely.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire for my copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  fueledbycoffee | Jan 8, 2016 |
I received a copy of this book from Book Riot.

Based on the previous reviews, I did not have high expectations for this book considering a lot of the reviewers didn't even finish the book.

But I don't really think it was that bad. Yes, the Bella Swan-like main character was horribly irritating and a disgrace to all female leads and the male lead wasn't much better, but the plot was creative and interesting. Having read the entire book, I don't really know why people couldn't finish it. The writing was simple (with a few grammatical errors, in my copy at least), but the plot was intriguing enough for me to speed through this in only two days.

A simple story of an almost Romeo-and-Juliet-esque teen romance that while ridiculous, was also made intriguing by the major plot twist. Not a great book, but a decent read. ( )
  CareBear36 | Dec 13, 2015 |
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. The description of the book was intriguing, but it just didn't hold up. The characters were flat and the story had a lot of holes. It was ok, but nothing special. It is billed as a young adult read, so maybe it would appeal better to a younger audience. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Nov 22, 2015 |
Slut-Shaming is NOT Okay…

*1 star out of 5
Awake by: Natasha Preston
Review by: Stacy Palm

I know and understand that not every book is for every reader, and so I generally take it easy on an author and give them credit for having their own point of view of their work. However, in this case I feel it is my absolute duty to recommend to our readers to avoid this book. I’m a person that enjoys books that aren’t so happy with their endings, but what I’m not a fan of is promoting behavior that has no relevance to the story and enhances people’s beliefs that it may be okay to act in this certain negative way towards other people.

The story is about a 16 year old girl who has no memory of her early youth basically falls madly in love with a strange new boy within an hour of meeting. Okay, I am raising two teens right now so I know their emotions can be strangely erratic and illogical, but to then start shunning your supposed best friends in order to spend time with this guy - not okay. What is more discouraging though, is that the main character’s best friend is consistently slut-shaming the main character and vice versa. I do not want my children ever to be in a position in their life where they would think that talking like this to another human being is okay. I feel horrible for this author because my fear is that this language and content is stemming from some experience in her past that she has brought into this book and it has no place for it in this work.

I’m going to add here too, that within a couple pages I was questioning to myself what the big deal was with not remembering anything since the age of four. Had she not been able to remember anything from the age of 10 or even 8, it would have been more believable. There are not many people who could dredge up even one memory from before the age of four due to biology and growth development, but this is again an area that shows the author’s inexperience and lacking of research for the story.

I read a post on the author’s website that she is attempting a 7-week novel (in which you write a 70,000 word novel in 7 weeks.) That’s an ambitious goal and one I would encourage to a seasoned writer, but may I sincerely recommend that Miss Preston take a more timely approach and really edit and screen the content she is putting out into the world and into the minds of some very young and impressionable people? Stories don’t have to be all rosy and cheery, but if you are going to use gritty and in many cases replusive behaviors in your work they need to have a creative relevance to the other content.

I really dislike giving negative reviews, but in this case I had no choice. My hope is that the author is open to receiving some constructive criticism, finds a better editor, and focus energy on refining her talent rather than rushing to put out another piece of work like this book.

Full Reviews Available: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible