Inherit the Stars by Tessa Elwood

Inherit the Stars

by Tessa Elwood

Read my full review of the book at seriesousbookreviews.com! Spoiler Free!
**I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. All opinions are my own and not influenced by my source.**

I really enjoyed this story and love the direction I can see this series going in! The politics and the slow burn romance kept my attention throughout.

But at the same time, I feel a little lost when it comes to the world. I would have given this book a 4/5 if I didn't feel like I was missing a few chapters where the world is described. Perhaps it is just me, but I didn't really understand what the Blight was or why decontamination happened or what it means. I felt like I was thrown into a world and left hanging.

I'm excited to read the sequel in any case!

Full Review: http://wp.me/p3txrs-11S

seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
I enjoyed this, but there were moments where the writing was strangely incomprehensible; as if there was a lot going on in the author's head and it didn't all quite translate onto the page. Other than that, this was a quick little space opera read and I like the concept of the worldbuilding, even though not much was really done with it. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
The teenage heroine of this science fiction novel is short on impulse control and self-confidence, at the same time that she is determined to save her father's domain and her sister's life. After a famine and fuel problem depletes and destroys some of their kingdom's planets, an arranged marriage is planned to unite two rival "houses," and Asa plots so that she will be the new wife instead of her older sister. The advanced technologies are difficult to follow at times, and it is sometimes hard to follow the dialogue from one person to the next. The romance that develops from the arranged marriage may carry readers forward, predictable or not. ( )
  sleahey | Nov 25, 2016 |
Full review to come! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Science-fiction is always hit and miss for me, and Inherit the Stars is a definite hit. The world building was detailed but not so much that it overtook the story or bogged it down with unnecessary detail. All of the characters had their own quirks and uniqueness; they didn't come across as copies of each other. As for the story line, I found it intriguing with a good dose of excitement and romance.

Asa herself is a great character. Flawed, sure, but that is what makes her so relatable and real. She is loyal to a fault to those she loves. And though her actions are sometimes rash, they always come from trying to do what she thinks is best for her loved ones. Eagle complements her very well. Where she is animated and at times hard to contain, he is calm, silent, controlled. Yet he also shares the same loyalty to family as she does.

One of the things I loved was the slow build up of Asa and Eagle's relationship. I am so tired of the insta-love plaguing today's books or of the love/hate relationships. Theirs was neither. They are strangers when they marry and there is the expected uncomfortableness of that situation. However, as time progresses they slowly get to know each other and open up. This leads to friendship and respect first, followed by amorous feelings. I think their relationship was wonderfully portrayed.

Asa (and Eagle) face adversity once bonded as secrets come out and ties are tested. They must race against time to fulfill promises and prevent catastrophe from hitting either of their home planets. And with many of the characters impeding this progress, it is definitely a challenge.

I think this may be the first in a series, and if so, I eagerly await the next installment.
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |

Three royal houses ruling three interplanetary systems are on the brink of collapse, and they must either ally together or tear each other apart in order for their people to survive.

Asa is the youngest daughter of the house of Fane, which has been fighting a devastating food and energy crisis for far too long. She thinks she can save her family’s livelihood by posing as her older sister in an arranged marriage with Eagle, the heir to the throne of the house of Westlet. The appearance of her mother, a traitor who defected to the house of Galton, adds fuel to the fire, while Asa also tries to save her sister Wren's life . . . possibly from the hands of their own father.

But as Asa and Eagle forge a genuine bond, will secrets from the past and the urgent needs of their people in the present keep them divided?

Author Tessa Elwood's debut series is an epic romance at heart, set against a mine field of political machinations, space adventure, and deep-seeded family loyalties.

[Excerpt:]
"This is my truth and my story, and I am a Daughter of Fane."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 31 Aug 2015 06:31:34 -0400)

Asa lives every day of her life in honor of both, herself and her people. But as her kingdom's food and energy crisis peak, Asa must find more to fuel Fane's survival.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,585,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible