Follow You Home by Mark Edwards

by Mark Edwards

2632043,310 (3.6)5

I really liked this. Just the right amount of psychological thriller and action to keep the pages turning. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
Started it more than once but the characters never grabbed my attention. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
A fun, fast and scary read! Lots of unexpected twists and turns. An enjoyable read if you're in the mood for something creepy! ( )
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |
What a book! When Laura and Daniel are on vacation they never expected to become face to face with horrific events that would follow them home. Terrified and feeling as if they are going crazy they try to come to terms with what happens. However, more sinister things are at work and they may not be able to handle it at all. This was super creepy book that I devoured in 24 hours. ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
Lesson #1: Always Take First Class
Daniel and Laura are that couple. The couple at the party with the perfect laugh, the best stories, the sweetest small glances at one another. All smiles with fortune cradling them in her arms--yes, this is them.
They want to get married--start a family. Not in that order as Laura starts to remind Daniel she’s 35 and wants a baby, yesterday. And why shouldn’t they--both have great jobs, a stable environment, it was time? First a grand tour. Traveling the world for two months before they settle down in London.
Daniel, an app developer is traveling from the money he made from his latest work.
Everything is perfect, Daniel thinks as he watches his girlfriend fall to sleep on this night train.
They started in Brussels, traveled to France, next Spain. Took a week in Ibiza, then Italy--Rome and the Amalfi coast. After that was Greece, Croatia and Hungary.
Now they are in Romania.
Lesson #2: Don’t Talk to Strangers
A Romanian couple, Alina and Ion, also traveling, suggest the two occupy the vacant cabin for a quick nap. Though against the rules, their new friends promise to wake them up before the guards come and find them in the cabin.
The perfect start ends when they wake to find their passports are missing. Alina appears and tries to speak to the guards in their native tongue but this soon too takes a turn. All three are suddenly tossed off the train, in the middle of nowhere. Laura begins to speak of seeing the devil hidden in the trees--ghosts and demons waiting to appear. Daniel rationalizes the situation and says that the only thing to fear was the bears and wolves--which he adds are extinct (a lie). They follow the train tracks in hopes it will bring them to a town--a place with a phone, that they can get this mess sorted and cut this vacation short.
In the middle of this thought Laura and Daniel notice that Alina is missing--missing except for a solitary boot.
The two stand in front of a crumbling mansion.
When they enter and the stale smell of sweat and blood hits them Laura wants to leave. Then the screams and the visions they find at the top of the stairs in that one room transforms one and reveals another.
When they return home they vow to keep what they saw that night between them. Yet the truth has a funny way of pushing through--forcing the monster to be unmasked.
Lesson #3: Nothing is a Coincidence
Odd things begin to happen. Murder--death--destruction surrounds them in the bustling streets of London.
• Who wants them dead?
• Who is the man Laura calls the devil?
• What secret is Laura harboring?
Yup, I’ve become of a fan of Mark Edwards. There’s a Stephen King edge to his work. There’s times in the book that the story slows a bit. In particular, that night in Romania, I found myself yelling at Laura and Daniel @#$% say it already. When it is reveled--whoa. It’s disturbing, but for me the award for best shocker went to Laura. Throughout the story Edwards teases you with her past with the lightest touch, then BAM, BAM, BAM, right across your stunned face the horrifying truth. You think of Daniel and you wonder what happens next? I panicked when I saw the words dwindling, realizing I wouldn’t have the answer. I sat in my chair after I read the last words, thought about it for a bit, and knew the answer to my question.
Lesson #4: Nothing is as it Appears ( )
  willowsmock | Feb 6, 2018 |
****
What happens in Romania...

To paraphrase Tolkien, “It’s a dangerous business going out your door, because there is no knowing where you might end up.” Some people thought that Tolkien was speaking of adventure, and some say that it was fear. In truth you can’t have one without the other, but for now, I am talking about fear, the fear of the unknown, and what might be lurking for you far from home, where no one knows your face or speaks your language. It’s an old and primal fear used to very good effect in Follow You Home by Mark Edwards.

Daniel and Laurel are a young professional couple who plan on settling in London, getting married and starting a family after they finish their backpack and hostel tour of Europe. Traveling by train through Romania, they meet a young native couple, Ion and Alina. Ion talks the couple into napping in a sleeper car for which they have no tickets. They are caught by guards, and discover that someone has stolen their passports, tickets and money. Along with Alina, who attempts to help them, are thrown out at a stop in the middle of nowhere. After being threatened by dogs the trio decide to walk along the tracks until they find a station where they can get help. Alina disappears, and the couple come upon a cottage in the woods so sinister that it might have come from a Grimm fairytale. Then something horrible happens.

I am not just avoiding spoilers here. The novel flashes forward three months, and our couple are back in London, and they are falling apart. They have split up, with Daniel drifting into alcoholism and Laura into depression and hallucinations. Whatever happened was so terrible that it is ruining their lives, and the rest of the novel delves into David and Laura’s lives; both what is happening now, and what happened back in Romania. Mr. Edwards does an excellent job of highlighting and contrasting the past and the present, and wrings a great deal of tension the couple's situation. The sense of fear and evil that he achieves left me wondering until nearly the end of the novel if the incident and it’s source are supernatural in origin. If you want to know you are going to have to read because I am not spoiling it for you.

John and Laura are well-rounded, believable characters. Edwards does a good job of showing them unravel before our eyes. Some of the other characters are solid if unspectacular, with the exception of Alina, whom seems to vibrate with life on the page. There are plenty of twists and turns in the plot, and it never seems to contrived or forced. The prose is smooth and capable, and Mr. Edwards does an exceptional job in showing the characters question and struggle with their grip of reality.

Where Mr. Edwards really shines is in his portrayal of evil. A lot of writers try but he really brings the dark side to life with an almost tangible effect. Without being too disgusting or bloody Mr. Edwards made the hair on the back of my neck stand up more than once. The title of this book is very appropriate, because this novel followed me even after I finished it up.

Review by: Mark Palm
Full Reviews Available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

"After a perfect start, Daniel and Laura's travels end abruptly when they are thrown off a night train in the middle of nowhere. To find their way back to civilisation, they must hike along the tracks through a forest. It's a haunting journey that ends in unimaginable terror. Back in London, Daniel and Laura vow never to talk about what they saw that night. But as they try to fit back into their old lives, it becomes clear that their nightmare is just beginning..." --P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible