Winter Moon by J.R. Rain

Winter Moon

by J.R. Rain

Lee Jordan is not your typical leading man. He's blind, deaf, and mute as a result of an explosion during the time he was a homicide detective. Now, he is being asked to apply his investigative skills to a series of disappearances. I enjoyed the first part of the book. It was interesting to see how a person with so many disabilities is able to live a somewhat independent life. It was also good to see that he could feel useful again. The story took an odd turn with some mystical way of seeing based on resonance, that though explained, seemed kind of off the wall to me. I wasn't aware that this author wrote paranormal series so it seemed odd for it to jump in partway through the book. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Mar 12, 2017 |
Former police detective Lee Jordan has been asked to help with a missing person case that’s got the LAPD baffled. People are disappearing, presumably just going out for a stroll, never returning, not a sign or a body being found. What makes this a peculiar request is that Lee can’t hear, see or speak anymore. Years ago, while working on a case, Lee was in a tragic accident that took his biggest senses. Because of his abilities to see what other detectives can’t, his former Captain asks for his help with this strange case. With the help of a sign language interpreter named Rachel, Lee is able to help piece the case together.

JR Rain’s books always have a wonderful enlightened feel to them and this is no different. Although this is a mystery, that is not the main subject of this book. Most of this book takes place in Lee’s head, which only makes sense because his is a dark world without sight or sound. Obviously missing is the fun interaction of dialogue you get in most books. There is some, but because it is almost all through sign language, it is brief back and forth. I understand that is the way it has to be but I wasn’t a fan all the time. I really did miss that interaction between the characters. It ended up feeling like a personal journal than a mystery book. What I did like was the way Lee was able to come to a better understanding of himself and the universe, bringing himself to a higher level and the way he found his way there. The mystery was a good one too and it finally picked up the final quarter of the book, which is where I didn’t want to put the book down again until I finished- I had to find out what had happened to these missing people.

Rain always is an entertaining author and this is no different. If you’re looking for a straight mystery, you might be disappointed, but the personal growth of Lee as a character is a wonderful part of this book also. ( )
  Mary.Endersbe | Apr 20, 2015 |
To Aiden James, my good friend.
The day is warm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible