The Good Gut: Taking Control of Your Weight,…

by Justin Sonnenburg (Author)

Member:danitella
Title:The Good Gut: Taking Control of Your Weight, Your Mood, and Your Long-term Health
Authors:Justin Sonnenburg (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2016), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:*****

The Good Gut: Taking Control of Your Weight, Your Mood, and Your Long-term Health by Justin Sonnenburg

The Sonnenburgs have written a well-researched and compelling read. I had no idea of the huge importance the microbes that reside in our guts play in our overall health and well- being. As a quick summary, the Sonnenburgs, through their research, have identified some things that have been proven to have a negative impact on the development and maintenance of a health microbiota:

1. birth by caesarean section

2. lack of breast feeding

3. use of antibiotics

4. use of antibacterial household cleaners and hand sanitizers

5. increased dependence on processed foods

6. diminished plant-based diet

7. decreased consumption of fibre

The good news is the microbiota is a living community and an ever changing one. Changes to lifestyle, diet and less reliance on antibiotics and antibacterial cleansers can go a long way towards improving one’s health. I was intrigued to learn that fermented foods play an important role in promoting a healthy and diversified microbiota and that back in the days of our hunter-gather ancestors, fermentation was a method for prolonging the life of certain foods and promoted good gut health in the process. Always good to know that some of my favorite foods – like sour cream, sauerkraut and pickles – have a very positive impact on gut health, just like yogurt does. I don’t agree with everything the Sonnenburgs say (I am a little disturbed by their views on hand-washing routines), but I found their speculative comments about possible links between gut bacteria health and obesity, allergies and some autism spectrum disorders to be very interesting and keen to follow the scientific research to see if any conclusive scientific evidence arises. There does appear to be enough evidence supporting the importance of the microbiota in treating certain illnesses, such as the FDA approval of Fecal Microbiota Transplant (FMT) to treat reoccurring c. difficile infection. The authors write with an enthusiasm that makes this book engaging reading for anyone interested in learning more about this fascinating field of study, I just wish the book had been edited to remove the repetition of some of the content. I listened to the audiobook and unfortunately, did not have access to the additional resources of microbiota-rich recipes that are included in the print version. ( )
  lkernagh | Jun 9, 2017 |
I found this book to be highly informative and potentially useful. The author provides information on the relationship between microbiota and ourselves. He explains how we live in a relationship with microbes, which is both beneficial and antagonistic. I found the information on microbial influence on our brain to be interesting. The authors practical advice on the influence diet on microbes in our gut and our health/aging is helpful. I recommend this book to anyone who is living in a microbial world. ( )
  GlennBell | Dec 31, 2016 |
As I was checking out [Gut] by [[Guilia Enders]] from the library, I happened upon this book as well. I can't review this book without comparing the two.

In The Good Gut, the Sonnenburgs take the existing research on the microbiota of the gut to try to create a lifestyle. They recommend feeding the gut with foods containing probiotics (mainly kefir, yogurt, or various fermented foods) and with high fiber foods like legumes, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. They also recommend avoiding antibiotic overuse and not using harsh cleaners in the home. They spend a lot of the book also going through the current research.

To me, I much preferred [[Guilia Enders]]'s book. The books cover a lot of the same research on the gut biome, but Enders covers more about the whole digestive system. Her advice is much more tempered, though she is ultimately recommending the same things. The Sonnenburgs feel the need to take the research and make a whole lifestyle out of it, though, and it just seemed to take things a bit farther than the actual research allows for at this point. And felt a little preachy. Also, their advice seemed common sense to me and not very new. I think most people know that current research suggests that the healthiest diet consists of lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans (therefore a high fiber diet) and limited red meat and processed foods. It seems that that sort of eating also supports a healthy gut. Great, but I didn't really learn much new information.

I still think the area of research surrounding the gut and its influence on the body as a whole and the potential of probiotics to cure illness and disease is exciting and fascinating, but its a relatively new field and this book takes the minimal current research and runs away with it. ( )
1 vote japaul22 | Jan 29, 2016 |
From Forum program, June 24, 2015. Importance of 3 lb of microbiota humans harbor, 2 million genes. A second brain. ( )
  clifforddham | Jun 24, 2015 |

Justin Sonnenburgprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sonnenburg, Ericamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Weil, AndrewForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The Good Gut offers a new plan for health that focuses on how to nourish your microbiota, including recipes and a menu plan. In this groundbreaking work, the Sonnenburgs show how we can keep our microbiota off the endangered species list and how we can strengthen the community that inhabits our gut and thereby improve our own health. The answer is unique for each of us, and it changes as you age.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,801,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible